Chapter 21 Love Bento

After trying to explain to everyone about their relationship, Isshiki manages to save both Soma and Megumi from the crowd as they are asked to come to a kindergarten to help out some kids.

After a while, Soma is now taken to the Elite 10 area as he is going to be told about the theme of the first match in the main Autumn Elections.

As he gets there, he finds that Erina, Eizan, and even Isshiki are there. Isshiki says, "Sorry for having you come all the way here, Soma-kun."

"It's a bit unusual to see you outside the dorm."

"As a result of the lottery, Soma-kun is going to participate in the match, your theme is-" Isshiki says.

"I know, Bento, right? The Phantom already told me." Soma sighs, and the first one to yell is Erina. "What is that Phantom thinking! How can he just spread the news to you like that!"

"Maybe because he didn't know that we are going to tell him eventually." Eizan sighs. "Then again, he is very mysterious."

"Though I'm a little taken aback, to think the theme is "Bento"...this school as a surprisingly plebian side to it." Soma says.

"What are you talking about? Your knowledge couldn't be more superficial. Bentos are a unique culture that developed in Japan. You could even call it a field where our country leaps worldwide. Bento catered with high-class ingredients from all four seasons is loved by gourmets. The leading foreign chefs have even taken notice of it, and the word "Bento" is even in French Dictionaries. This theme is befitting for a gourmet festival. It's something clearly disparate to that vulgar B-Class Gourmet you're so proud of."

Soma is listening to this and he says, "I think I'm good at holding conversations with other people. But Nakiri, you really are something."

"What's wrong with you? I can't see where you are going with this!" Erina yells.

"How odd, to think Nakiri-kun would raise her voice like this..." Isshiki says.

"Whoops, it seems the other participants have arrived, I'll head over there." Eizan says. "Well, that's it. Yukihira Soma. Give your all and try to win your way up. It won't be any fun otherwise."

After Eizan leaves, Soma is waiting for the opponent and he says, "So my opponent is you?"

The opponent turns out to be Nakiri Alice. "Oh? Yukihira-kun? I never thought we'll be facing each other very soon."

"Yeah. Even though you're a friend of mine, I am not going to hold back." Soma says.

Erina is a little twitched at how Soma is talking to Alice so causally and the girl doesn't even mind, but she isn't saying anything.

Alice says, "I really look forward to your dishes, I mean, we were in different blocks during the preliminaries, weren't we? But what a shame...it's the long-awaited big stage. And I'll only be able to see one of your dishes."

"You'll be able to see them from the audience for the second round onwards, won't you?" Soma asks with a smirk.

"I don't think that will be possible. Artisan skills that rely on acrobatics and old-fashioned ideas won't be enough to surpass the wisdom of Gourmet Food." Alice says.

"Maybe, but I'll like to try that limit." Soma says with a smile as he leaves.

As the first match begins, the crowd notices that Nakiri Senzaemon is on the seats. But everyone is also shocked to see that the first match is no other than Yukihira Soma, the transfer student, against Nakiri Alice, the granddaughter of Senzaemon.

"Yukihira-kun. Today, I'll bewitch you with my food." Alice says as she shows her new cooking machines, causing the students in the stands to get shocked. Soma is just yawning and Alice asks, "Oh my? You don't look all that well. Were you able to sleep last night?"