Chapter 27 Final Match Part 2

Kurokiba Ryo is the first one to finish his fish, and Hayama says, "You sure rushed things, Kurokiba. I just hope you didn't overlook anything."

"Say all you want now while you still can." Ryo says. "My dish will crush your weapons."

Soma isn't looking at what Ryo and Hayama are doing, as he continues to do his cooking. Ryo manages to bring all five plates in front of the judges, as they open the bag, they can see shrimp, mussels, manila clams, and pacific saury.

"The more I smell it, the lighter my heart feels...and I just end up smiling." Leonora says.

Katsu says, "Those sure are a bunch of seafood, don't you think? Daniel?"

Daniel says, "If the director can get a grin from this, then it might be good."

Ryo says, "The name of this dish changes just by wrapping it with heat-resistant film, but the ingredients are almost the same as those of an Acqua Pazza. "Cartoccio"...the dish I made is an "Autumn Pacific Saury Cartoccio"! Now taste it!"

As the five judges are tasting, they are amazed at the fresh Pacific Saury's fat. And Ryo also adds Herb Butter inside to make the fragrance.

"Looks like my mother is going to strip." Alice says, which causes everyone to get shocked, but instead when she eats a delicious dish, her broken Japanese strips away and she gives a fluent opinion. And the other five judges feel like they are becoming one with the sea.

The next to serve is Hayama, after seeing the dish, Ryo yells, "Don't fuck with me! A Carpaccio? Are you trying to beat me with Hors d'oeuvres?" That's out of the question! What do you think this match is? Was the guy who fought me in the semi-finals someone else?"

Hayama says, "You just don't know, that aroma can change the concept of a dish. My Carpaccio is worthy of being the main dish."

Everyone is surprised to learn that Hayama is trying to win with a Carpaccio, and much to their surprise, the aroma is comparable to Ryo's Cartoccio. Hayama reveals that it is Kaeshi, before searing the dish, he smeared some Kaeshi on the surface of the fish meat.

"The heat scorches the pacific saury's surface fat and the Kaeshi's sugar content, in other words, a one-track pony of a cook who only has brains for spices, was it? That was what it means to subdue the aroma." Hayama says as he taunts Ryo.

"You bastard!" Ryo yells.

After the judges taste it, they feel that the dish has a hit right on target. It is also magnificent.

Soma is the final one to come, and he presents his own dish. "This is the end."

Everyone notices that the destructive power of the fragrance causes reflexive smiles in those whose diet consists mainly of rice.

"It's Takikomi Gohan!" Soma says. "It will be ready soon. So please wait for a longer."

The judges can't wait to eat the food, as Soma is now presenting them with five bowls. After the five judges tasting it, Katsu says, "The pacific saury's blessings brought out by autumn are permeating throughout my body."

"Indeed, the flavor is so tender...it was cooked together with the rice after grilling it once on the Shichirin. That kind of detailed work is what makes the rice so fragrant."

"And the pacific saury is marvelous by itself. The deep taste among the saltiness and soft smell and flavor spread inside my mouth with every bite." Leonora says. "The quality of the dish is not at all inferior to those of the previous two."

After realizing that Soma is using Nuka Sanma, a popular traditional dish made since ancient times, mostly in Kushiro, Akkeshi, and Nemuro. It serves to bring out the ingredients' flavor, remove the bad smell, and increase the nutritional value. It's said some of the local fishermen groups consider it to be the most delicious way of eating pacific saury.