Chapter 42 Split Personality

Soma and Eishi decide to bring Megumi, Hisako, and Erina to the table as they are going to be the judges, Eishi is looking at Soma's dish and he thinks, "Peeled sweetened chestnuts, and a charcoal grill, was he truly able to use those effectively while staying within the field of French Cuisine?"

But after the four of them taste Soma's dish, Eishi says, "This is quite astonishing."

He thinks that the chestnuts as an ingredient mesh surprisingly well with wild game. The combination of the version and chestnuts is no stranger to French cuisine, and he also feels the perfect harmony between the two.

"But why? Applying this kind of slight bitterness charcoal grilling creates to French cuisine is exceedingly difficult. And yet, this dish has done just that? There must still be some secret to this."

"It's coffee." Erina says.

"Indeed. I was taught this from Shinomiya senpai's restaurant. Game meat goes amazingly well with Cacao. Though truthfully, I don't have much experience using Caco. So that's why I used instant coffee! The bitterness of Cacao which coffee also has meshed perfectly with that of the game and the charcoal. The deep richness and astringency is a perfect match for the French Sauce. That's why I joined them together as a hidden flavor in the sauce." Soma says.

And when it is Eishi's turn, Venison Roast Showing Two Expressions. The other four eat it and they feel the same harmony with Soma's dish, Hisako noticed that the weight of her knife was able to cut the venison alone. The flavor of the dish was enough to leave Sōma stunned, especially the two sauces. Eishi explained the sauce on the right is Sauce Poivrade, made by using scraps of venison to create a wild, yet refreshing flavor. The sauce of the left was created by using multiple berries to create an acidic and refreshing sweetness, a Sauce Poivrade Berry. Analyzing his sauces, the multitude of berries and wines used showed just how delicately he utilized his ingredients to create a sauce that was not overpowering in bitterness or unpleasant.

Megumi says, "I can say that both of them are in equal power...but it is really hard to choose..."

"Yeah..." Erina adds as she thinks, "So this is the true power of Angel's Eyes..."

Eishi then says, "Yukihira Soma, I want to ask you, what is your relationship with the Phantom? Is he someone close to you?"

Soma folds his arms and says, "He is someone close to me, we share a similar dark past and we have the same ability: Angel's Eyes. I was about to ask you the same, what is your relationship with the Phantom?"

Eishi isn't expecting that he will be asked about this, he says, "He is a close friend of mine, we have been competing together for 3 years, he is the only person aside from Rindo that I considered a good friend."

"Then let me ask you, you have been asking me to join this Central, but the Phantom and I agree that we have never tried to join them. Because the Phantom knows about my past." Soma says.

Eishi stares at Soma and asks, "What do you mean?"

Soma says, "Eri-chan and I were the victims of the Central, we suffered because of your beliefs. The whole origin of uncle Azami creating this Central is because of my family and I, and that's why I can't join in the Central."

Eishi looks into Soma's eyes again and he sighs, "After tasting your dish, I feel that you are too unique for me to control. It's possible that I might not be able to control you as an aide. If you joined Central, I think you won't even help me and make me collapse from worries. So this match is a draw, Yukihira."

Soma looks at Eishi and says, "Why are you showing mercy right now? You can tell that it is actually my loss."

"Your cooking is too familiar to Phantom's cooking, which is strong and dangerous. Even though there is still a difference between your cooking and the Phantom's cooking, I can see your determination in this dish." Eishi says as he leaves. "Though I hope you have good luck."