Chapter Twenty-Four

Two weeks later

I frowned as I looked at the honeycomb pieces I was attempting to put together in their block. My mind was wandering and I couldn't help it, everything was so...strange. I didn't like thinking about what the Delta had done, I really didn't, but after that is when everything became strange. It happened and I had to live with what happened but then I noticed Lisa being more... accommodating. She switched quilting tables with me, not hearing a word of argument otherwise. I had come in and our tables had been switched, my frames moved over, and Maeve's little corner moved to be closer to my new work space.

I mean I liked the thought of it, I didn't know how I would have been able to focus if my attention was on the table and what had happened. It might not have been as bad as it could have been, and I was more than thankful that Dana and her mate had come in when they did, but I still shuddered whenever I saw the spot where it happened out of the corner of my eyes. The bruises around my throat were nearly gone but for a few days the mass of them had encased my throat and were like a brutal collar that reminded me of what the Delta had done.

Despite all that, it was still just strange. Dana was coming over to my table to chat more, I was never left alone in the craft hall, and that was outside of Simon. I wasn't sure if he had been tasked with it or he chose to do it himself but Simon spent every single day with me at the craft hall. He helped me with various things but seemed to be there specifically so I wasn't left alone but then the females would always have someone with me as well. So there was always Simon and another female in the craft hall at all times while I worked. I wasn't used to that much attention from the pack members.

Then there was Brochan. I wasn't quite sure what it was but there was a stark difference. When we walked the territory, he was holding my wrist. When we weren't walking, he was always closer to me, a hand pressed to my back or his hand around my wrist. Then when we were alone he was more prone to give me hugs, put his arm around my shoulders and tug me to his side, or to touch my hands or my wrists, especially when he was trying to get my attention. It was strange and I wasn't sure what to think about it. I knew I really didn't have anything I could say about it, I was under his roof, he could treat me however he wanted.

But it didn't stop the flutter my heart got every time he touched me. I was trying very hard to push that away because he was still grieving and there was no reason for me to feel like that over kind words and some simple touches. It was wrong to feel envious of Chrissie, of the male she got to be with, it was wrong and horrible because she was gone and he was grieving her loss. I couldn't walk into that, couldn't allow myself to be trapped by my feelings like that.

It was wrong.

I liked him, a lot, but that was wrong. So very wrong. I was helping him grieve, giving him room to deal with all those emotions. I wasn't allowed to like him that way, it wasn't right. It felt like I was a vulture circling a dying animal, my feelings weren't right and I would do my best to hide them from everyone around me, especially Brochan.

"Think you will be done soon?" Simon called it out and I glanced over at him. He had his legs up on the table with Maeve leaning again them and he was playing peek-a-boo with her. She was giggling hysterically and it made my chest feel full to watch him interact with her. Simon was such a good male, the greatest big brother I could ask for, and I knew he would be a wonderful father if or when he chose to become one.

"For the day?" I asked it as I tried once again to focus on arranging the honeycomb pieces to make sure they matched the drawn out block.

"No, the quilt." At the words I let out a small 'ah' before giving him a small smile. He glanced over at me, his eyes intent as they flicked up and down me as if he were inspecting me to make sure I was alright. "Who's a happy baby!" He cooed the words at Maeve as he tickled her tummy. She babbled at him and he nodded along. "Is that so?" She screeched happily pushing herself up with her legs as she kicked Simon's stomach. "Tell me you gave him a talking too." He looked at her intently and she babbled some more before she gave another screech and a kick. "You didn't!" He grinned at her as she screeched and babbled some more.