Chapter Forty-One

I had dreamed of home. It wasn't the first time I had, far from the first, but it hurt. I had dreamt I had woken up in Brochan's bed. He had been there he had cupped my face and kissed me. Nothing else happened except he pulled me close and he held me tight to his chest and we just laid there. I woke up with that crushing hollow feeling in my chest. I missed him. I knew I would do anything to get back to him, even if it meant being nothing to him but a friend.

I wanted to go home. I said it so much and so often but nothing changed, nothing was fixed. I was still where I was, still no sign of home. I wanted to know if everyone was okay. The rogues had attacked the pack and I worried for Ellie and Simon, I worried about the females in the craft hall. I wanted to know if anyone had gotten hurt, if they had gotten injured. I wanted to see everyone for myself and make sure they were okay.

"You have that look about you." Ambris tilted her head as she looked at me and I gave a small hum of acknowledgement as I shifted Maeve in my arms. "I know it is disappointing."

"Are they even trying?" I looked at the Head Priestess and she gave a heavy sigh, tucking her hands into her sleeves.

"I am sure they are trying it is just that they are a big organization and they have a lot they have to do. Sometimes these things take more time than we think it will." Each word was said carefully and I hated every syllable of it. It was the same response I got every single time I asked. I had been gone for two months and I wanted to go back home.

"The pack was attacked. I want to know what happened to everyone, I want to know what happened." I wanted to know and Ambris gave another sigh, her shoulders slumping slightly. She looked weary and sad and I adjusted Maeve's little toque on her head. "I want to know if they are all okay." I whispered it and she gave a slow nod.

"I understand that this is difficult for you but there is nothing I can tell you." She reached out and almost awkwardly patted my shoulder. Ambris was not a very physically affectionate shifter. She didn't really know how to comfort anyone or how to act around people who were sad. I figured it was just part of who she was. She spent a lot more time with Mene than with anyone else. "Perhaps you can go pray and seek Mene out for guidance on what has happened and what you seek." At that I gave another nod and adjusted Maeve on my hip.

She babbled happily at me and I nodded. "We can do that." I knew she was just passing me off, trying to keep me from getting under foot but I would do what she suggested. Knowing that Mene knew me and she had gifted me with what she had, made praying to her feel better. It was like I knew she was listening and I felt comforted by it. I knew she told me she didn't wish to help me get back to my home because she didn't believe it was truly my home but speaking to her was a comfort all the same.

"All will be well and will come to pass as it should." Ambris bowed her head at me and then walked away.

I looked at Maeve and the little girl leaned towards me, bumping her nose against my cheek. "I love you too." I kissed her cheek and she giggled as I turned and walked away. I would go to the public chapel and pray, just as Ambris had suggested. The air was cold as it nipped at my cheeks and I was glad that the people of Altia had come together to ensure that Maeve had all the cold weather gear she needed. They had also provided me with my own but that didn't matter as much as ensuring Maeve was warm and kept away from the temperatures that were dropping.

The chapel was made of stone and the doors were a thick, dark wood and I pushed one open. The interior was warm and the door opened and closed smoothly. I carried Maeve to the altar and then set her down on it. She clapped her hands and babbled at me. "Yes, my love. Let's pray." I looked over at the candles and picked up one of the incense sticks, I reached over and lit it before setting the smoking stick in the appropriate place. It was a spicy scent and I breathed it in and closed my eyes for a moment.