Chapter Sixty-Nine: Part Two

A few hours later we were pulling into another pack. We had gone back to the Hunter's checkpoint and then teleported to a closer one to the Oblitus pack and after another hour drive, we were now on the territory. My heart was in my throat and I was a little scared. I didn't know the pack and I didn't know who was in it and how they would react to me. I wasn't a normal shifter, I was a hemi-lykos and even thought Fortis and Vis had treated me well, there was still a part of me that was worried.

"Oblitus has worked with us for years." Jovan spoke rather enthusiastically. He had been giving Duffy and I numerous facts and bits of information about the Hunters and their relationship with the pack. "As I said prior, the pack doctor, Amber, has pioneered the treatments we have in place for Omegas and actually revitalized the use of the Boarder Houses. It created new jobs and has helped thousands of abused shifters across the world." The words flowed from him and as interesting as it was, it didn't stop the nerves twisting in my stomach.

I had wanted to stay with Fortis, I had wanted to stay with Lilith and Doc Howard. I had wanted to stay where it was familiar but I hadn't been allowed. The disappointment inside me was thick and I knew there was nothing I could do to avoid it. I had been told no and now I was going to be introduced to a new pack and start all over again.

The SUV came to a stop and I let out a small, nervous sigh, fiddling with the fabric of my skirt. I looked around and swallowed hard. There was a nice forest around what looked to be a rather large pack house and a large space that seemed to have some building going up in it. Pack members seemed to be milling about but all eyes were on the SUV and the nervousness churned my stomach. I wasn't as nauseous now but that didn't stop me from currently feeling like I was going to throw up the breakfast and few snacks that I had eaten.

"It's alright, trouble." Duffy's voice was low and I swallowed hard and nodded. I glanced down at Maeve who was sleeping peacefully in her carrier. My heart turned over in my chest as I reached over and gently stroked down the sweet little curve of her nose. I would do anything for her. Absolutely anything. My hand fell to my slight bump and closed my eyes. I would do anything for both of them. Even if it terrified me and made me so nervous I wanted to throw up. If it kept them safe, I would do it.

"Alright. Time to meet everyone." Jovan's voice was almost jovial and when I opened my eyes to look at him he glanced over his shoulder and gave me a warm smile. "They have been told that you and Duffy are arriving. They are a very friendly pack and are excited to meet their new pack members. Don't worry about a thing." With that he took off his seatbelt and left the SUV.

I took in a deep breath and glanced over at Duffy. She gave me an unusually soft look. "I know this is hard for you, trouble. But it's okay. I'm right here for you." The words had me giving a bolstering exhale. She was right, it was going to be okay. I had adapted to so many new circumstances over the past year that I knew I could adapt to this. It was a potential start to an entirely new life, one where I and my daughter could be safe. It would be hard and could be nerve wracking but it was okay.

I took my seatbelt off before I carefully undid Maeve's restraints and picked her up out of her car seat. She fussed slightly but then settled rather quickly as I held her to my chest. She nuzzled right into my neck, her little nose pressed up against my skin. I rubbed at her back before I slowly opened my door. I swallowed hard, glancing over at Duffy. She had her door pushed open and was already halfway out. I took another bolstering inhale and pushed my door open and got out. The air had an icy bite to it so I grabbed Maeve's blanket and covered her with it, just to keep her warm.

There was a rather small crowd that had gathered and I adjusted Maeve in my arms and spotted Jovan, he was shaking hands with a broad male with a scar down his face. He looked severe and almost unapproachable, his energy heavy and it pushed at me. I could tell he was the Alpha and I let out a shaky breath as I slowly started forward. Duffy came around the side of the SUV and stepped up beside me, putting her hand on my back as if to give me some comfort and to remind me that she was with me.