Chapter 13 Only there was no Sheng Qingrang

Sheng Qingrang noticed that she caught hold of his arm, so he immediately turned around. Zong Ying loosened her hand a little, but she didn't let him go. She just changed her grip, took him to the dining table, pulled out the chair, and invited him to take a seat.

Sheng Qingrang sat down and listened to her asking from behind: "Will this important matter be fatal if you arrive half an hour late?"

"Should not.", "Then have breakfast."

Her tone was not fierce or hurried but had an unquestionable authority.

Sheng Qingrang got up and grabbed the cup on the coffee table, he only took a sip, then a bowl of steaming white porridge was placed in front of him.

It was not thick or watery, cooked just right, on top was sprinkled with some meat floss.

"There is no milk delivered today." Zong Ying sat opposite with a white porcelain plate and a glass of water. The plate was filled with sliced baguettes that looked dry and hard to chew. She tore the thick piece into her mouth and read the newspaper on the table with her head sideways.

An English newspaper, North China Daily News, recorded that the Japanese fleet entered Shanghai. Both text and photos showed a tense situation, but the news page was full of shapes and colors. The advertisements and the trivialities in the concession are incompatible, as if another world.

Zong Ying chewed hard, the muscles at the side of her face repeatedly moved in an orderly and smooth manner during the process of chewing and swallowing.

Sheng Qingrang look at her for a while, collect his mind, hold up the spoon and eat porridge.

She quickly finished the baguette on her plate, put down the newspaper and asked him, "Are you going to call a car?"

Sheng Qingrang look up at her, she moved her gaze, and after three seconds of staring at him, she seemed to have received a response, so she got up and dialed the phone. She sat next to the table and told the operator of Xiangsheng Company that she needed a car. The other party asked the address and explained to her that "there are many intersections in the concession, and the car may not arrive so soon. Please understand".

The golden age of receiving passengers in ten minutes seems to have come to an end.

After hanging up the phone, Zong Ying picked up the porcelain plate and went back to the kitchen, she caught a glimpse of herself at the full-length mirror in the hallway and realized that her clothes were too casual. Short-sleeved white T-shirt, gray linen loose-fitting lounge pants, not very suitable for going out.

Putting the dishes into the sink, she asked Sheng Qingrang, who was still eating porridge, "Mr. Sheng, are the clothes I wore last time still there?"

Sheng Qingrang had not finish eating his bowl of porridge, upon hearing her question, he immediately put down the spoon and asked her with a nasal voice, "You want to go out too?"

Zong Ying turned on the faucet and washed her hands, then asked, "Can you promise to be back before ten o'clock?"

Sheng Qingrang is silent. The situation outside is changing rapidly. He really can't guarantee to come back on time at night to take her back. So, he got up and planned to pick up the clothes for her, but Zong Ying came out of the kitchen and said, "You go on eating. Are the clothes in the bedroom?"

He could only sit down again and said, "In the chest of drawers by the door, the last drawer."

Zong Ying entered the bedroom and took out a paper box from the last drawer of the commode. She opened the lid, the shirt and trousers were neatly folded, they have clearly been washed. She closed the door, quickly changed her clothes, put on her trousers, tucked in the hem of her shirt, and buttoned up the row of buttons on her trousers—