Chapter 1

After midnight, the streetlamps became ailing.

The rain was falling, and the air was only stiflingly heat at night.

A police car, Volkswagen Passat, was parked outside the funeral home. The number H3987 was painted on the rear of the car on the left, and the window was half open.

Outside, a man and a woman were smoking cigarettes next to the window of the car. Zong Ying sat on the co-driver and opened a box of canned in tempeh. The pull ring broke, so she had to use a knife.

The tip of the knife pierced steadily, adjusted the angle in a half-circle, and opened it smoothly. The can was turned upside down, and only a greasy tempeh rolled down, lying alone on the cold rice.

The policeman outside stubbed out his cigarette and glanced inside: "Teacher Zong, can you still eat? I was going to throw up just now."

Her smoking fingers were on the windowpanes and smoke floated into the car.

Zong Ying raised her head, put the lunch aside, and tore off the remaining half circle of the unopened lid with her bare hands.

Hungry people do everything they can, and Zong Ying hadn't eaten for twelve hours.

She went out of three scenes without stopping, tossing and turning most of Shencheng, full of flavour.

The on-site investigation and autopsy were all physical tasks, freed from protective clothing, exhausted and hungry.

Beads of sweat poured out of her forehead, a large swab of sweat on the back of her uniform shirt, and the four-pointed star on the gray-board epaulet was reflected very brightly by the car's dim light.

She tried so hard that the sharp metal cut into her right hand, and her phone rang.

Blood gushed from the cut flesh and rolled down with the grease of the food.

As the ringtone became more rapid, Zong Ying glanced at the caller ID, and calmly took out the alcohol paper from his trouser pocket, tore open the packaging bag with one hand, and wiped the grease and blood.

"Why don't you answer?" The policewoman outside the car stretched her hand into the car, and when she was about to pick it up for Zong Ying, the bell stopped ringing.

The policewoman grabbed her mobile phone to light up the screen: "Sheng Qiushi-missed call."

Then came a short message: "Your brother was admitted to the hospital in an emergency." The policewoman lifted her eyelids, and the phone dinged again, and she pushed forward the second short message: "Blood is needed, come here."

The policewoman raised the corner of her mouth and turned the mobile phone screen to Zong Ying: "Are you going?"

Zong Ying raised her head, the screen light illuminates her face. The pressure of the alcohol on the wound was intense, but the pain stopped as soon as it was removed.

She was about to reply when her cell phone rang again - it was a call from the Bureau.

Zong Ying took back his cell phone and said, "In a traffic accident, you need to go with Xiao Zheng, and the address will be sent to you immediately."

After she removed the alcohol paper, the blood beads continued to flow out, converging into a line and dripping down along the palm lines, all the way down into the canned dace.

She looked up again at the window and said, "It's not over yet. I'll let Xuanqing and Xiao Zheng through."

In the distance, there were many tombstones standing in the cemetery. She looked away and hung up the phone, and said to the policewoman outside the car: "Choose youth, and take my place on the spot. Next time, double for you."