- History -

*10 years ago*

In all honesty, I loved my life.

It was peaceful, just me and my parents. My father, Markus, had always been a farmer. I inherited my (y/h/c) hair from him. He lived his whole life beyond the city walls.

The same goes for my mother, Eve, whose eyes I mirror. Sea blue outlined with purple. Although, her family were travellers, making their way across the kingdoms in search of a home.

My parents met in their twenties at the famous Katolis market (I could rant about their love story forever if I had the time for it). When they decided to get married, they settled down on the outskirts of Katolis, oddly close to the Xadian boarder. I just thought they liked the peace and quiet.

I've never had many memories from the ages 1 through 11, but I know my parents loved me dearly and we lived a happy life in our wooden cottage.

That was until, the fire.

Like most of my childhood, all my memories from that day are a blur. I didn't know what started the fire, I didn't even understand what was happening until smoke filled my lungs and my mother rushed into my bedroom. She said words that for ten years, I contemplated and still couldn't register. After her ramble she kissed my forehead and ran back into the living room. I remember hearing the thump of a body as my mother's agonised scream echoed.

Moments later there was only silence.

But silence never lasts very long.

I was inhaling more and more fumes as strong arms pulled me out of my once beautiful home.
Dozens of questions overwhelmed me.

"Are you badly hurt?"

"Sweetie it's okay, are you okay?"

"Honey, can you speak?"

"What's your name?"

I only managed to comprehend one and strenuously made out "(Y/n)."

The middle aged man kneeling next to me nodded his head with a smile. I scanned the multiple figures before me. Judging by their uniforms I knew they were guards. Except there was one bearded man that glamoured in no sort of armour, he too smiled at me, but his smile didn't quite reach his eyes.

Lord Viren, I think his name was.

I had heard of the High Mage of Katolis before, but wondered what he could have been doing with guards in the woods so late at night. 

After being wrapped in a blanket and hauled onto a horse, we began our journey, to wherever it was they were taking me. My home slowly faded into the distance, until there was only a spec of orange light still visible. The whole house would be ash by morning.

Until I heard a voice scream my name. "(Y/N) PLEASE!?!" I didn't know where it came from.

I should have fought them then; been more brave. But the shock of the situation, the empty hole that was then inside me made me feel too alone.

I didn't have the strength to do anything.

Words were passed between the bearded man and the guards. I made out the just of what had happened.

Elves.

More specifically, Moonshadow Elves.

They set fire to my family's home.

They killed my parents.