- Tough Nights -

"Callum wait please!" I shout as we are still trailing him through the courtyard, the dimness of nighttime setting in.

"Yeah Step-Mage, let's talk!" Soren adds. I spot Corvus up ahead and motion between us and the Prince, silently requesting a little help.

"Woah woah woah," he blocks Callum's path. "What's the rush?"

"Soren told me everything," Callum explains.

"Everything!?" I shout, knowing full well little words passed between the three of us about it.

"Yes," Soren contemplates, "about the secret plot that the Crownguard is working to... thwart!""

Corvus stares at me, "oh yep," I stutter.

"Rigghhht," the tracker comments. "Callum, w-we need your help with the..."

"Thwarting!" Soren interrupts.

"Maybe," I say, taking Callum's arm, "we can go somewhere quiet to talk about this..."

"Plot against the King!" Corvus and I share a groan as our companion continues to be conspicuous.

"I'll help anyway I can," the High Mage states clearly. "Let's go to the High Mage's Office."

"Which is your office," I remind him. He smiles, slightly flustered, then takes us up his tower. I watch Soren wince as we climb the stairs, "those lunges make you stronger, big boy?" I mock and he gives me an irritated face before flipping me off like a true gentlemen. It makes me laugh.

As we reach the room, Corvus shuts the door behind us all as Callum begins to pace. "If Ezran is in danger, you need to tell me what's going on, now," he makes clear.

"Where to start," I mumble, my words genuine.

"You know who knows the details best?" Soren inquires rhetorically, "Corvus."

"Uh," he stumbles. "I have a quick question first," I watch my friends gaze dart around the office, trying to find an excuse. My eyes land directly where his does. "What's under that cover?"

"Oh," Callum remarks. "It's something Lord-" I watch his eyes flicker across Soren, "the previous High Mage left behind. A mirror," he explains, "with ancient runes on it."

If Viren had it, then who knows what trouble it could bring. The two men at my side seem uninterested, but I walk closer to try and asses it better - although I can't see any of it besides the feet. "Have you deciphered the runes?" I query.

"I don't have the right books, but Amaya has located one with the right translations," he looks at me, clearly intrigued by the object. "She's sent it, but it hasn't arrived yet. But I'm convinced there's a deeper secret here," Callum states, "if I can just figure out what it does."

"That does sound very interesting," Corvus comments, clearly not paying attention.

"Mhm mhm mhm mhm mhm," Soren murmurs, just as oblivious.

"Wait!" The High Mage spins to face me, "can you read runes (Y/n)?"

I ponder the question. Could I? I remember having the runes around our village at home, but this seems more advanced. Or evil. "I'm not sure,"I tell him honestly. "Don't you have to like, train, to do something of this calibra?"

"Well," he pauses, "if it is something from Xadia, maybe you can try before the book arrives?" He gazes at me, hopeful.

"Okay," I promise, grinning. "Soon."

I glance back to only see Corvus, and turn around until I spot Soren holding an object he must've picked up from the table. He sees us all staring at him and nearly drops the cube, "super interesting!"