- Gate of Umber Tor -

Rayla, Callum, Ezran and Bait are asleep only a couple minutes after the daylight is replaced by moonbeams. I'm sitting at the crook of Zubeia's neck, listening to the steady thrum of wings and connecting the stars. 

Soren stands, holding onto one of the dragon's many large horns for balance. "Ah... nice being one of the good guys this time," he sigh contently, looking at me. "Humans. Elves. Dragons," he goes on, "we're a Dragang!"

Hearing Zubeia's laugh make me chuckle. The thought of a human making the Queen of dragon happy is delightful. I'm grateful of the world this has become.

And I'll do whatever it takes to stop Aaravos from destroying it.

"It's kind of humans to bring their, Court jester, on the journey," she chimes.

"Oh Queen Zubeia," I say, grinning, "you'll be bombarded by his jokes whenever you're in his vicinity."

Soren scoffs slyly at me, "oh I'm not the jester, I'm Captain of the Crowndgaurd," he boasts proudly. "With (Y/n) here as my second."

Zubeia hmms in interest.

"It's like the Dragonguard," Soren explains, "but the.... Ezranguard."

"Well," the Queen says, "if your sword is as sharp as your wit, then the King is in good hands." Soren almost blushes, going all quiet and uncoordinated at her compliment.

"Wow," he chuckles giddily, "but thank you. Ah, dragons are so nice!" He beams.

"And you, (Y/n)," Zubeia adds, "with Eve as a mother and Runaan and a teacher, I can only fathom your abilities. I am glad to see you two working together."

Soren and I both grin at that. "Thank you," I tell her, meaning it deeply. I shuffle sideways and pat the newly created open space to my right. "Thought you were really tired," I tease Soren.

He narrows his eyes at me, "extremely," he speaks very seriously and struts actively towards the space before sitting down carefully. "You should get some more rest too," he says, dropping the whole jokey-serious facade.

As if on cue to that, I yawn. Which causes Soren to yawn. Which makes me need to yawn again. Halfway through my third yawn, I just start laughing. "Oh my god just face the other way," I jest and he smiles.

"Don't let the Xadian bug flies bite," he jokes and turns around. I do the same, so our backs are facing. It's peaceful in the wind, slightly, very, cold.

But peaceful.

       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes flutter open once the sun is bright enough to shine through my lids. I cover my face with my hands and my right arm brushes against something solid. I glance sideways to see Soren still sleeping.

And realise and practically laying on him.

I catch Rayla's eye as she stares gleefully at me. Getting up slowly, I unwind Soren's arm from around my shoulder. Putting a finger over my lips to tell my friend to please be quiet. Soren stirs and I pause, halfway up halfway still down. The my saviour, Rayla, extends her arm and I grab it, able to stand up.

The smug look on her face speaks louder than words. "It was cold," is my explanation; not even knowing when or how we got into that position.

"Well," she grins, "we are nearly there." She jerks her head forward and I swivel to see the looming mountain in the distance.

Soren wakes up shortly after me and I give him a hand. "You know," he tells the group who now stand around Zubeia's head, "it actually was quite warm throughout the night." He says it so confidently and everyone looks at me. "Do you... disagree?" He asks after getting no reply.