- I Remember -

We learned the Elf's name was Rayla.

It was weird, when she said it. I had a feeling like I knew that was her name the whole time. But I couldn't explain the sensation, so I just ignored it.

We were walking back through the tunnels and when I looked at Rayla, my head pounded, and I saw glimpses of the Elf, as a child.

I didn't know if I was hallucinating. The bite could've been poisonous.

While we searched for an exit we discussed a plan. Callum and I would talk to the King whilst Rayla would talk to her 'boss.'

After that the Elf - Rayla - wouldn't stop looking at me. All these side glances, that for an assassin, were extremely not stealthy. When we exited the tunnels the moon was almost at it's peak.

I needed to say something, "okay sorry Callum could you just give me five minutes with Rayla, to discuss something." He looked confused but complied all the same. I grabbed her by the arm and we went around the corner. Trying to catch her off guard I pinned her to the wall, my dagger at her throat, "why, pray tell, do you keep looking at me like I'm your long lost lover whose returned from the fucking dead." I added as much malice as I could.

"Maybe, if you remove your weapon, I'll tell you, and spare you your life." I looked down to my stomach, where she posed one of her own blades. I removed mine, stepping away from the wall.

"Okay, Rayla, speak." I didn't quite know what I was expecting to hear, but the images were growing more frequent and I was too confused.

"Where to start," she taunted, but now I was starting to believe it was all an act. She was so young she probably hadn't even taken a life. "Your name is (Y/n), is that correct?" Her voice grew oddly sincere.

Like she was dropping the act.

If I wanted truth, I would've needed to return it. "Yes," I responded.

"And your parents, Markus and Eve, died in a fire, 10 year ago?" I didn't know how she knew, but I was getting closer to answers.

"Yes," it took all my strength not to snap at her. "A fire set by your kind."

"Ah but no. Your mother was targeted by the humans and your father died defending her." My ears started ringing. "She told the humans that they stole you as a baby - which isn't true - they said it to protect you-"

"Yeah!? And why the hell would humans, come out into the woods and set fire to a human family!? Huh!?" Confusion mixed with anger and I couldn't think straight.

"(Y/n)," her voice was so soft, "your mother Eve, was a Moonshadow Elf from the Silvergrove. She feel in love with a human. They had a baby girl. The parents died and the child, (Y/n), was taken." Her voice was comforting, "There's a fountain in memory of you and your parents in the village."

Your parents. My heart stopped in the chest. No- "no."

"Yes," she counteracted. "Why can't you remember anything clearly from your childhood?" She questioned. I didn't answer. "Why have you always been a skilled fighter?"

"Because I've trained!" I seethed.

She didn't stop.

"Have you ever saved someone's life? Eve was the most skilled healer in the village. I heard the genes passed down to you?" I was tired of the bullshit coming out of her mouth.

"Yeah? Well if I'm half elf, why do I look completely human!?" She stared into my eyes.

"(Y/n)," her voice was gentle, "have you ever met anyone with blue eyes ringed with purple?"