- Elves -

*the morning of*

I missed my first alarm and by the time I woke up the sun was high in the sky.

I checked my bedside clock:

9:49 AM

Well shit, I thought. I had 11 minutes to get dressed and meet at the gates.

I did it on schedule though, ish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time I reached the front gates, Soren and four accompanying Crownguard were already mounted. That was to be expected. But what I didn't expect was Callum, clad in ceremony armour, sitting in a puddle at the bottom of my horse.

"He's my Dad, I should come!"

Soren corrected him saying, "Step-Dad, actually." I shot him a look.

I felt bad for the Prince, I would argue the exact same thing. "I'm sorry, Callum," I gave him a hand to stand and then mounted my own horse, Mika, "but don't worry, we've got a magic moth, I think we'll find them." I tried to smile but I knew it didn't look genuine.

"Okay let's release this funky guy and track it to some elf bastards!" The oversized shiny blue moth flew out of the box Soren was holding.

With the Captain in the lead, the five of us followed closely behind.

           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ride was fairly silent, longer than I expected. Soren's white stallion, Phillip, made his way over to gallop beside my grey mare a couple of times. I always believed Phillip and Mika had a thing for each other.

Soren and I exchanged some words, he mainly passed reassuring phrases and horrible jokes, I nonchalantly replied.

We had probably been riding for an hour when the moth disappeared behind a massive rock. Soren was the first to make it around and I heard an agitated "Ughhhh" come from him.

Although, when I rounded the boulder I was far from calm.

Standing in the open glade were four Moonshadow Elves - that I could see. The moth had landed on the forehead of a young female at the front.

I didn't know what to do.

Drawing my sword I started assessing the area we were in, marking every angle and advantage we could have, making sure the elves didn't make any sudden move-

"This bloody stupid ugh moth led us to an empty freaking glade!" Agreeing sounds of disappointment joined in behind me.

Soren's words stopped me dead. I made eye contact with each of the four Moonshadow elves in-front of me. I thought I was going insane.

"Empty?" I repeated to Soren. The elf on the far right now had her bow drawn and pointed at me. So they could see us, and knew I could see them.

I sheathed my sword and she lowered her arrow a bit.

"Utterly empty," Soren started muttering to himself, I caught words like "useless," "stupid," "dumb bug."

The elf on the far left was staring me down like I was his next meal, but the female in the middle looked young. Callum's age maybe. She had kind eyes.

Gentle.

Like I've seen her before and she wouldn't hurt me if it came to it. Which I knew was impossible and entirely incorrect. She could slice my throat faster than it would take me to dismount.

Never let appearance deceive you.

Though, the tall male behind her, half shadowed under the cover of the tree, was what caught me off guard. He was looking at me like I just saved his life?