22: Callie

Apparently I broke 'judge rules' and the consequence is uploading another chapter? Mmmkay, jueka1 , whatever you say...

____

Flynn tried a couple more times to get me in Ashton's proximity, though being alone with him was difficult. Over the rest of the term—yes, a whole seven weeks passed—I went to this party and that. A couple more late night adventures. Even a movie outing—whereby Ashton sat next to me, his hand twitching on the armrest the whole time though never making the leap.

But then one weekend, just after the first term of the year came to an end, we were at Ashton's house for a movie marathon in his living room. A couple of other girls were there, Fraser (to everyone's dismay, surely), and even Flynn.

When Ashton got up to grab some drinks from the kitchen, Flynn nudged me and told me to follow him.

Reluctantly, I got up—annoyed to be leaving at a good part of the film—and did as required. 

When I entered the kitchen, Ashton's brows shot up. It was the first time we had been alone in all these weeks though, with that stewing tension between us, so it was no suprise he was shocked... and no surprise that he then glanced around the room, evidently aware of the same thing I was.

"Need help?" I asked, rounding the island and standing obnoxiously close to him. 

The nerves that came with being like this around Ashton had disappeared long ago, especially with all the shoulder bumping he's done, or his leg pressing against mine as we've sat next to each other, or just before as his hand draped over the couch behind me. 

I knew he was into me—that part was undoubtable. I just needed him to take the leap with me so that I could tick him off.

Ashton gave me a smile and shook his head. "I'm alright."

My brows furrowed as I wondered what I should do now that my excuse was gone. I was waiting for the part where he told me to head back into the living room—that he'd be back shortly. But it also never came.

Then he said, "I've been meaning to ask you something, Callie... but there's no right way to phrase it in a cool way, which has been throwing me."

My heart began to accelerate as I wondered if the kiss had finally arrived. That soon I wouldn't have to subject myself to outings that involved Fraser. That surely this question centred around finally taking me up on the offer I made all those weeks ago in history. "What is it?" I pressed as he bit his lip, eyes avoiding mine.

"Are... are you and Flynn a thing?" His eyes hesitantly met mine, taking me off guard.

"Me and Flynn?" I asked, shocked to hear the words come from his mouth. Because seriously? All you'd have to do is look at us and know he didn't feel a thing for me. 

He nodded, confirming I heard right.

So I barked a laugh. "No. We're just good friends," I then said.

His grin grew wider, cockier, as he abandoned the bowl of chips he had poured in favour of leaning over the counter, closer to me. 

And, surprisingly, for the first time in a while with him, my heart let out a little stammer.

Iridescent blue eyes meeting mine, he said, "I know it was silly to assume. You're too pretty for him anyway."

But then the feelings I was growing in that moment disappeared in an instant. Brows coming together, I said, "What does that mean?" 

Flynn is attractive. He's really good at sport, so I hear, fit as hell, a smile that still melts my heart... Not that I like him of course. 

But it's him who is too good for me. He'd never go for me... Which is why he hasn't. Which is why he has been adamant about ensuring everyone knew we were 'just friends' when they asked... so how could Ashton even worry about that in the first place?