Chapter 9.

After a while of walking down the beaten path, we decided to stop at a wooded river for a break. Everyone decided to let out their Pokémon to stretch their legs, wings, uh...whatever they got. Marcus took a blanket out of his bag and laid it out on the grass, his Magnemite helping him flatten it out.

Quiladin, Pikachu and Eevee were chasing each other around, the shiny Magnemite joining them once the blanket was set down. Little green Rowlet, however, settled down on the blanket and fell asleep. Jeez, that's one lazy ass owl, but I can't say he's not adorable. Garchomp was sitting on a rock next to the riverbed, looking down into the water at his reflection.

"Hey Garchomp. Not interested in playing with the others, huh?" I ask him.

The shark turned his head and looked back at me, shaking it.

"Not your style, or you're just not in the mood?"

He nods. Hm, okay, I'll just take that as a yes to both. I stood next to him and looked out at the river. We could see shadows of the water Pokémon swimming around underneath the surface, every now and then a Goldeen or Magikarp would jump up and out of the water. People say Magikarp is weak, but once it becomes a Gyarados it's one of the strongest Pokémon there are. Well, according to a tier list on YouTube anyways.

"You know, this kinda reminds me of how you and I met a few days ago. We sat together by a stream and we talked, or I talked and you listened rather, just like now. But you know what the difference is?"

He looked at me with a head tilt.

"Well 3 differences really, but the main difference is that you were a Gabite then. And now look at you, you're fully evolved and stronger than ever. All you needed was a little outside help, love and affection."

Garchomp smiled and pulled me in close for a hug, my own skin brushing against his sandpaper skin. I giggled and paid it no mind while hugging my partner back. His chest rumbled in a low tone as he rubbed one of his horns against my face. I believe this is his version of a purr of love, meaning that he likes me enough to show affection like a cat. I wouldn't know, I have a dog back home, no cats because my mom is deathly allergic.

"I love you too buddy. Wanna have one of those apples Alpha gave us to eat?"

Garchomp pulled back from the hug and nods.

"Okay, let's all have a snack. Lord knows we have enough for everyone."

He got up from the rock and followed me over to the blanket, sitting down on in as I opened my backpack.

"Hey everyone, let's have a snack!" I shouted to get everyone's attention.

*   *   *   *

"Hey everyone, let's have a snack!"

The other Pokémon heard her and went rushing over. Hector, Ben, Marcus and I were simply walking around and looking at the scenery, Sera offered to be an extra pair of eyes and watch the Pokémon while we explored. But all of us were kinda hungry after walking almost half the day, so a snack wouldn't be so bad.

We backtracked our way to the side of the river to see our Pokémon munching down on some apples, Garchomp having a larger pile in front of him as he was the largest Pokémon in our group. The only one that wasn't eating was Magnemite, the reason why I don't know.

"Hey guys! Don't worry, there's still plenty left."

She dumped a load more apples onto the blanket into a separate pile for us, taking one for herself while we sat down.

"She claims that her and that Alpha Garchomp weren't best friends, well I beg to differ woman!" Hector said dramatically.

That earned a laugh from all of us while us guys took an apple.