Chapter 10

Two days after the funeral, James felt shaken. How had he come so close to kissing Allie? He was in a relationship for goodness sake! He had a reputation, but he certainly wasn't a cheater. However, that didn't mean that he couldn't stop thinking about Allie. She had been on his mind constantly since the day of the funeral and he knew that Melissa could tell. She had been utterly furious when she found them together on the bench at the bottom of Izzy and Dan's garden. 

"Auror Potter, are you quite alright? You're very quiet this morning?" Auror Richards pulled him out of his Allie fuelled daze. 

"Sorry Richards, yes I am, I think it's just all of this case stuff." He lied. 

They were monitoring Bedford Square that day whilst Melissa and her team of Aurors worked inside to see if they could find any fingerprint evidence to link to the case. She had instructed him to work outside in the cold to keep lookout, there was always a possibility that the murderer or an accomplice could return. But James knew that it was because she was made at him for the other day. 

"I'm not surprised, it's a tough one. Auror Dawson was saying just the other day that this one will be a hard one to solve." Auror Richards nodded in agreement with him. 

"She did?" James asked, surprised. Melissa never usually accepted defeat over any case; this was one of the reasons why she had been made Head Auror. 

"Yes definitely, she said that there is a lack of evidence." Auror Richards told him. James couldn't disagree with this, there was a lack of evidence in this case, but that didn't mean that they would give up trying. 

"That's true Richards, but that's why we're doing another evidence sweep today." James told him determinedly. But Auror Richards wasn't looking at him, he was too busy watching a woman who was doubled over at the side of him leaning against the wall for support.

"Miss Morez, are you quite alright?" Auror Richards had moved to her aid. Miss Morez? James moved away from the wall and rushed to Allie's side. She was struggling to catch her breath and tears poured down her face. 

"Allie? Take deep breaths, you're ok." He told her, holding onto her to support her. 

"I can't." She wailed, a fresh wave of tears taking over. James just held onto her, hoping that his presence brought her some comfort. It always had when they were dating. The three of them stood by the wall just staring at the wall for what felt like hours as Allie calmed down.

"Are you ok?" He finally asked when he felt like she had calmed down enough to speak. 

"I think so. I mean I wasn't....but I am now. Look how loved she was." Allie gestured to the flowers that had been laid outside of the Cafe door over the past few weeks. This was obviously the first time that she had seen them. 

"It really is a lovely gesture, your mother must have been loved by many." Auror Richards gave her a reassuring half smile. 

"It's lovely isn't it? I saw it the other day." James agreed with Auror Richards.

"You did?" Allie asked, taking her eye's off of the flowers to look up at him. 

"Yes, I came down to examine the perimeter and stopped to have a look at some of the messages. Do you want to have a look?" James asked her, he knew that she would struggle, but he was sure that it would benefit her to read some of the kind messages that had been left behind. 

"I don't know if I can James." Allie muttered. He knew she'd say this. 

"You can, come on we'll go together." James held out his arm for Allie to take. He knew that Melissa would be livid if she saw the two of the together outside of the Cafe, but he didn't care. He had to take his Mum's advice and take care of what was important.