Chapter 2

"Good morning Mr Potter, you look happy today." James Potter grinned at Lacey, the receptionist in the Ministry of Magic's Auror Department, as he strolled happily passed her desk on the way to his Office.

"I feel happy today Lacey, the sun is shining, we have had a brilliant week of catching dark wizards and I only have half a shift today monitoring Oxford Street." James explained, giving her a dashing smile as he rounded the corner of the corridor on the left.

"Well have a good day!" Lacey called after him. James just smirked at her reply; it had always been clear that she had had a thing for him but she had never acted on it and she definitely wasn't his type. He just loved the attention and he definitely couldn't deny that.

He finally reached his office door and pushed it open, planning on just heading inside to grab the things he needed for his shift that day. He was fortunate that he didn't work many weekends in his job, however when he did, they were generally easy shifts like the one he had that day. He had been instructed by the Head Auror, Melissa Dawson to monitor Oxford Street looking for thieves from the Wizarding World who used magic to steal things from muggles. They were very common on Oxford Street, which was London's busiest street for shopping.

"I wondered when you'd show up for work." James grinned at the sight of Melissa Dawson sitting on his desk, her leg crossed over the other flirtatiously.

"How did you get into my office?" James smirked, walking over to her and kissing her sweetly on the lips. They hadn't been a thing for long, Merlin James never had long relationships, but she seemed to be really into him and he loved that.

"I have my ways as Head Auror." She smirked, shrugging her shoulder's. James had received a warning from his father just the previous week after he arrived home with his hair ruffled even more than usual that it was a very bad idea to date his boss. However, as always he took his father's advice with a pinch of salt and shrugged it off.

"And what are my orders today then?" He smirked, even though he already knew what he had been tasked with today. No one could deny that he was very good at his job.

"Wouldn't you like to know" Melissa raised her eyebrow with a smirk before her face turned serious again "seriously though, those higher up than me have asked that you take Auror Richards with you today so that he can start training with the simpler jobs."

"Richards?! Please tell me you're joking!" James groaned. Auror Xander Richards was the newest recruit to James' team of Aurors and he was positively useless.

"Sorry, my hands are tied." Melissa shrugged, flicking her blonde hair over her right shoulder and jumping down from the desk.

"And by those higher up than you you mean my Dad?" James rolled his eye's. His father, Harry Potter, was Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement which therefore meant that he was not only James' boss, but also Melissa's. Ever since they had started dating his father had been instructing Melissa to give James the worst jobs and he knew exactly why. He had received countless lectures from both his Mum and Dad who both wished that he would 'grow up.'

"Sorry James, Richards is waiting for you in the team room ready for your shift." Melissa gave him a sympathetic look before she kissed his cheek and wandered out of the room, making sure to sway her hip's as she moved. James smirked and shook his head before grabbing his equipment for the day and heading out of his Office.

Auror Richards was waiting in the team room. The were two of these rooms within the Auror Department, one had green sofa's and the other had red to distinguish the two Auror teams within the department. James was head of one department whilst Auror Michael Woods was head of the other team. Each room was lined with sofa's and had a simple kitchenette which was used for team meetings.