Chapter 22

Two weeks had passed since Allie had been taken and James felt like he was making no progress as to finding out her whereabouts. It was raining that day on the 30th April and he felt as if it matched his mood completely. He had zero leads as to where Emilio could be hiding Allie and he felt positively useless. 

He sat at his desk in the Auror Department, tapping his quill against the desk and analysing all of the evidence that they had collected so far. He willed for something, anything, to jump out at him and give him an epiphany. However, the longer he sat there, the worse he felt and nothing was coming to him at all. 

He picked up the note that Melina Morris had left outside Eva's Cafe and read it over and over, trying to figure out if there was any sort of hidden message there, but there wasn't. He knew that there never would be, he was just desperate for something to help him. Melina Morris was the one and only lead he had at that moment and even that was leading to a dead end. But he knew that she had to be in the country somewhere and he would do whatever it took to track her down and find some answers to his questions. 

He looked up suddenly when there was a knock at his door. He placed down Melina Morris' note and stated "come in." 

"Good morning Auror Potter, how are you today?" Auror Richards stepped into the room and gave him a small smile, closing the door behind him. 

"I won't lie, i'm positively fed up Richards. How are you?" James asked him politely. 

"I'm not too bad, I hate to make your day worse but I have some more bad news." Auror Richards winced as he sat down in the chair in front of James' desk. 

"What is it?" James asked, dreading what he might say.

"Do you know that DNA test that you required to try and discover who the Morez sister's father is?" Auror Richards began. 

"Yes..." James trailed off, not liking where this was going. 

"Auror Colson said that there is a delay so you won't be likely to get them back soon." Auror Richards explained, a grave look on his face. 

"A delay?! They do realise that this is a high priority case don't they?!" James cried. Why on earth was there a delay on a DNA test that he had asked for nearly four weeks ago when the case first started?!

"I said that to him and all they could say was that they apologise." Auror Richards rolled his eye's. 

"Typical." James sighed. Now he felt even more deflated. Something that could have helped find answers for the case was now delayed and he didn't even know how soon it was going to be available to him. Why did it feel like the entire world was against him? 

"Have you heard any other whispers as to where he could be?" Auror Richards asked. 

"Unfortunately no, I feel like we need to take to the streets Richards." James told him confidently. 

"Take to the streets?" He asked, looking very confused. 

"Yes. Get ourselves in a good disguise and head into Knockturn Alley to see if we can get any information about the movements of Rossa and his gang. This could help lead us to where he's keeping Allie." James explained. 

He absolutely despised going down Knockturn Alley. It was full of very dodgy witches and wizards and it always made him feel uncomfortable. But he knew that it was sometimes the very best place to find intel into gangs such as Rossa's organisation and he needed to understand their every move at that point. 

"Have you done anything like that before?" Auror Richards asked, shuffling uncomfortably. James could understand why; heading down Knockturn Alley was not for the faint hearted.