Chapter 11

Two days had passed by and Allie had not received a word from James. She assumed that he'd told Melissa the truth and she'd become mad at him if what he had said about her was true. Now she was worried that she was stuck in the middle of their relationship, which was the last place she wanted to be. 

"How did you not know that he was dating Melissa?! Was this just something that he failed to mention on all of the occasions that he'd seen you before?!" Lily Potter cried as the two sat outside of Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour on Diagon Alley. 

Lily, James' sister, had always been a good friend of Allie's, even though there was a four year age gap between them. She had approached Allie at her Mum's funeral and suggested meeting up because she missed her and Allie had to admit, she missed her too. 

"Well, I did sort of know the day of Mum's funeral. She saw us on a bench at the bottom of Izzy's garden and he called her babe. But I just wanted to get clarity! I'm not sure it's the best idea to have them both working on Mum's case if things are going to get ugly." Allie told Lily honestly. It was something that she had been thinking about for the past few days and she was worried. 

"Have you spoken to Izzy and Eliza about it?" Lily asked as she took a sip of her coffee.

"Yes, they think that it's going to be ok but i'm not sure." Allie shrugged. 

"It's a hard one. How old is she? This Melissa I mean?" Lily asked. Allie was suddenly confused, hadn't Lily met her?

"You haven't met her?" Allie asked what she was thinking. 

"Merlin no, James is so secretive about his girlfriend's, the only one we've ever met is you." Lily rolled her eyes. She couldn't help but think that that was very strange; the Potter's were lovely people. 

"How strange! I think she's older than us. Possibly in her mid thirties." Allie told her. She couldn't even speculate, but even she couldn't deny that Melissa was gorgeous and she had so many questions floating around in her head. How long had they been dating? Was it a serious relationship or just casual? 

"Oh my goodness, she's got herself a toy boy!" Lily laughed.

"Lily! That's your brother that you're talking about!" Allie cried with a laugh, as she looked around to make sure nobody was listening to their conversation. For all she knew, Melissa could be sat around the corner. 

"Well obviously James sees something in her. Some men like older women I suppose." Lily shrugged. 

"This is so strange." Allie shook her head with a little laugh.

"How so?" Lily asked her, a curious look on her face.

"Talking to you about your brother!" Allie laughed again. 

"Who cares, James does what he wants anyway." Lily shrugged.

"Well clearly there's something there, I don't know I just don't want to get involved. I couldn't think of anything worse than being in the middle of James' relationship, not with the history that we have." Allie took a sip of her own coffee and sighed. 

"I'd stay away from him as much as you can then Allie, the best way if you've decided that you don't want him back." Lily gave her a smirk. What could she possibly be smirking about?!

"I don't like that look on your face." Allie eyed her warily. 

"Oh come on! You wouldn't even talk about it if you didn't care!" Lily cried, exasperated.

"We've spoken about this already, I don't want him back! Even if I did, it's been so long and those feelings aren't there any more." Allie felt like she was lying through her teeth and she knew that Lily could sense it too. It had become apparent that those feelings she had for James hadn't disappeared at all.