Chapter 39: The Light to His Darkness

✧Misma POV✧

I pulled the blanket further up on my legs, my eyes glued to the page I was currently reading. The new book from Nesta. It was so good. A true page-turner.

That was what I deserved after that day. Even though Amren had said that I should take a break, she showed up here that morning with at least five books on Koschei and light summoning. She had told me to have a look into them, which I then did. The whole day actually. And now I deserved reading my smutty romance novels. It was my treat.

I wiggled slightly on the couch, turning over another page. I chewed on my lip, the tension between the two characters was rising. I grabbed the book tighter, fingers curling around it and my eyes still glued to the words.

"I am afraid you start loving this books more than your mate!"

I flinched, throwing the book away and it fell shut. Nooo.

"Azriel! Are you fucking mad?!" I expressed loudly, moving my legs of the couch and glowering at my glorious mate.

Tsking, a smirk played over his lips and he said, "Such vulgar words. Didn't know I would hear them from you outside of the bedroom."

Ignoring his uttering, I quickly stalked towards him, still glowering yet heat spreading over my cheeks.

"I know spymaster and everything, but Cauldron dammit you can not always just appear out of nowhere and scare the living shit out of me!" I growled, approaching him further.

Stopping only mere inches from his body, I looked up at him with squinted eyes and furrowed brows. The shadowsinger just laughed, low and deep with brightly shining eyes.

"You were about to come to a spicy scene, weren't you?" I drew my gaze away from him, not being able to stop the shy smile from appearing.

"Maybe," I stated, looking at the floor and feeling my cheeks heat up.

"I knew it. I could tell it by how concentratedly you read those pages. I have been watching you for a while," he chuckled and groaning, I shook my head at him. "These books are just....pure gold."

"Wanna tell me what happened in the scene, maybe we can make it reality?" His smirke turned into a mischievous grin, hands slowly sneaking around my waist.

"Hm, maybe later, now I am hungry!"

"Me too, for you!" he hummed, lips brushing against my mouth. A giggle slipped through my lips, but I shook my head.

"No, let's cook first. I am getting better and better at cooking and it is just two days since I got the book," I stated, grinning.

"The book from Lucien..." Now moving his face away from me, my mate's expression turned grim while his nostrils flared.

"Yes, the book from Lucien," I said cheerily, smiling and grabbing the shadowsinger's arm to pull him after me. Azriel only groaned, but reluctantly stomped after me.

"Any news? Anything interesting that Rhys told you?" I asked, putting a pan and a bowl on the kitchen counter. Azriel leaned against the counter, shaking his head at me and crossing his arms in front of his chest, making his muscles shift.

He had just returned from a meeting with Rhys and Cassian. Just the three of them. They needed to talk about the Darkbringers and the Illyrians.

"Sure?" I asked again and he nodded, not answering anything.

"Hm, alright," I mumbled, grabbing a few of the ingredients. I put some vegetables out and starting chopping them, looking a him with a smile on my lips.