Chapter 72: Wings and Warriors

✧Misma POV✧

The scene that unfolded itself in front of me upon glimpsing out of the tent was once again dreadful and mesmerising at the same time. Warriors with white wings —the Seraphim— joined the Peregryns and Illyrians. Drakon and Myriam's warriors had finally arrived and supported ours. Finally there was hope. Colours mixed and—

Gods, I had never seen so much blood. And then I smacked my hands over my mouth, keeping in the shriek that had threatened to escape. There was Rani, but he...he was missing an arm. Where an arm should have been was only red—only blood and nothing else.

"Towels, bucket, water. Bandages and potion. Hurry, Misma. Every second counts!" Madja ordered and I did exactly as told, running off and collecting all the pieces before dropping down on the ground next to to a sickbed with my once good friend on it. He gave me a weak smile, delirious by the pain from where his arm should have been. "Hey, little sunshine."

A shuddering breath left my mouth when I tried to return the smile. So many of the people I cared about had been gravely injured. Balthazar's state was alright, his wounds had healed nearly completely, still he was in pain. Gwyn was rather fit again, slowly trying to get back to fighting. Cassian was doing the same, practicing some stancing and sparring next to his sick bed. Nesta was fighting again, alongside all the others.

"Bloody bastard cut off my arm. Who did he think he is? Taking a warriors arm," Rani groaned, folding his hand over his forehead when I stared peeling back the bloody pieces of his armor.

"I am relieved that it was just the arm and that you are back alive, Ran," I breathed out when finally Madja came up to me and picked up the bottle of potion I had placed besides me.

"Is your mate allowed to know that? That you care about me that much," —Rani gave me a cheeky smile before once again wincing in pain— "I heard he is quite territorial and I really don't want to get onto the torture master's bad list." I chuckled slightly, shaking my head.

Before I could answer, Madja pressed down on his chest and said: "This is going to hurt like hell, so brace yourself, General." My eyes went wide and then there it was—the loudest scream I had heard in a while. Tendrils of smoke floated over the wound where Madja currently poured the potion on. Someone held Rani down by his legs, I pressed him down by his lower belly and Madja by his chest. He didn't stop screaming until Madja was done. The tendrils of smoke vanished, the wound was still open but the bleeding had stopped. "I will smear healing cream on it now, Misma then puts bandages on you. Alright, general?" Gritting his teeth and groaning loudly, Rani dipped his chin. And then—

"Hold up. General? Holy gods, you actually got the position?" He nodded his head as good as it was possible. "Oh my, I am so happy for you. It is amazing." Chuckling in pain, my old friend thanked me.

After the cream was put on, which I then noticed also served as a cooling lotion, Rani seemingly relaxed and the pain started to slowly disappear. I carefully and softly started to wrap the bandages around him, after having cleaned his torso from the blood that had earlier stained his skin.

Rani cleared his throat, coughing two times and then said: "Gods...if we had known about all of this. About you and your powers...it would have been insane. Everything was so different just a few months ago. And now look at you, mated, Light Bringer and flourishing like the most beautiful flower the Hewn City could ever birth."

I smiled, shaking my head. I knew the smile did not reach my eyes and a cool shiver ran down my spine. "Still, such a charmer. Congratulations on your marriage by the way. I am sorry I had never gotten a chance to congratulate you properly." Pressing his lips in a thin line, Rani dipped his chin. "No worries. She is quite amazing. Stenna. I think you would like her." Smiling I bowed my head, letting my gaze run over Rani's slim face. "Salim. How is he? Jeen is here, you know."