four.

"so pretty," el mumbled, her head laid down on emerson's lap as they sit on the roof of his truck to watch the stars.

it was night out but still, emerson brought her to an empty parking lot to stargaze with her like they used to when they were young.

her arm extended like she was trying to catch the stars into her little hand.

el turned her head to face emerson, "it's so pretty, brother. i want to take them home,"

emerson smiled a sad smile and stroked her face, "i'll give you some stars, my little sunshine." he hated this.

he hated it so much.

"okay doc, you gotta tell us what's going on with our sister," ezra sighed out, "how can she sometimes act like a child but sometimes not? it makes no sense."

el was currently sat outside. just the six of them inside to figure out what was wrong with her.

"from what you have told me, the situations, it seems that there are some parallels within her actions."

"the fuck does that mean?" emilio asked, "make it make sense, please."

"from what you have said, it is clear her childhood was anything but happy. she's always been neglected. apart from you all." the doctor explained, "so now, when she does the same thing she does from when she's a child, she'll make it the happiest situation ever to place into her childhood memories."

"so she's making new memories to place into her old ones?" emerson questioned and the doctor nodded, "in a way, yes. everything that parallels, she'll find the happiest version to replace into the childhood she never had. to fill the gaps and to be normal."

"but she's.. she's conscious, right? she knows it's not?" elijah asked quietly.

the doctor shrugged, "at this point, i'm not sure. perhaps she does, perhaps she doesn't. but what's certain is her trying to fill up her childhood with the happiest memories."

emerson looked down at el, "time to go home now, el,"

"nu-uh," her nose scrunched up before she laughed out, "brother, look at that one!" she pointed up to the sky, "it is so beautiful!"

"it is, isn't it?" he agreed.

"brother," she whined and turns to lay on her stomach, "yeah, sunshine?"

her smile widened, "i love you," she dipped her head lightly.

he laughed and hugged her head close, "i love you too. i love you so much, el," he whispered quietly, "you're my fav in the whole entire world,"

*

"the party is tomorrow," martin reminded at the dinner table then eyed el.

"i haven't been eating, papa," she whispered out, "i swear,"

"but look at that filth on your arms," terry scoffed out, "you better find a way to get rid of them. i want them sewed together not bandaged, eleanor. and i mean it, i want them to not be seen. they're hideous."

before a brother could speak up, she nodded, "yes, mama," her eyes shut slowly before she opened them to meet eyes with her not touched plate.

"i'll.. i'll go upstairs." she gently said before she nodded at her parents and walked away.

she went up to her room slowly, her hand grasping the railing as she heavily breathed.

they want them sewed. they want them sewed.