secluded

"Nanami!" 

Ryan was just as quick to sit up as Sakiko was, easing her into his arms and rocking her back and forth with a shush of comfort.

"Nana.. Nana.." she pants.

"I know," Ryan kisses her head, "I know, Kiko."

Sakiko clings to his arm, eyes wide as she looks around the wooded area- cans on wires to alert them in case of any walkers coming near their camp.

She inhales and exhales with unease before clenching her eyes shut and burying her face in Ryan's shoulder. Ryan hugs her tighter, reassuring her that she was safe.

"I don't want to be out here," she whines, sounding so frail that it gave Ryan whiplash.

"We'll find a safer base in the morning," Ryan swears.

Sakiko shakes her head, hating the idea of being stuck out here for longer than they already have.

When the prison fell, it was like running away from everything they knew. The flu had wiped out more of their people than they were anticipating- then the walkers grew to such numbers that the fences were useless to keep them away.

When the fences fell, Daryl had shoved Sakiko toward Ryan and yelled at them to 'get the hell out of here'. When running into the woods, they saw a glimpse of Glenn and Carl getting out together as well as Michonne and Hershel running the opposite direction.

That had been two weeks ago.

Since then, they've ('they' being Sakiko) tracked everything possible from bloodstains to footprints. Sakiko left marks behind for Daryl in case he was on their trail instead, but even he hadn't showed up.

Being in the woods only made Sakiko think about Nanami.

She thought about how they spent so much time together in the woods. She thought about how he was buried back at the prison that was now overrun. She thought about how he would be saying to find a safe place just as he always did.

Sakiko simply missed Nanami. She missed her brother.

"Get some sleep," Ryan urges, "I'm keeping watch. It's okay."

Sakiko sniffles, scooting closer so she's nearly in Ryan's lap. Ryan knew it wasn't optimal in case walkers did come, but it wasn't often he got to see this side of her- she side that needed him more than he needed her. The side that only Daryl and Nanami had seen before him.

So, Ryan only holds her closer and rocks the two of them side to side until her breathing evens out and he's sure she's asleep.

--

"I don't get it. It looks like sticks and dirt," Ryan frowns, his nose scrunching in frustration.

"That's because it is," Sakiko scoffs, nudging his arms.

She takes a few steps forward, somehow following the deer tracks that was clearly invisible to Ryan.

"I thought the same thing when Daryl was teaching us," she admits.

"Yeah?" Ryan inquires.

"It just takes a lot of practice. And good eyes. And patience-"

When Ryan snorts a laugh, Sakiko shoots him a deadly glare- that fire back in her eyes.

"Something you wanna say?" she challenges.

"I didn't say anything to begin with," Ryan grins.

Sakiko rolls her eyes, shaking a finger at him to remind him of the thin ice he was on.

"I was thinking once we find-" Ryan cuts himself off as Sakiko looks to him once more before he corrects his choice of wording, "Once you find our dinner.."

Sakiko nods, returning to the tracks.

".. that we get out of the wild. Head for the city limits and hit up a few shops. Maybe there's something that hasn't been looted. Maybe the others are in living it up in the suburbs."

Sakiko tries to hide her excitement at his offer.

"Better than running in circles out here," Ryan shrugs, "But, it's up to the both of us. Whatever you think, too."

"Sleeping in a building beats the leaves," she shrugs nonchalantly, "We can try."

𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

my babies 🥺😭

it feels so good to be back omg