load up and load off

Nanami wasn't made aware of Sakiko's decision until she followed behind Maggie with a bag of her own.

"Hey!" he calls, running down the stairs to grab his sister's arm, "What are you doing?"

Sakiko trades a look with Maggie, the older woman giving her a sympathetic smile before ducking onto the bus.

"I'm leaving," Sakiko shrugs, "You were right. Last night.. I'm leaving."

"But.." Nanami begins, confusion running through his veins, "Why?"

"I have to take care of myself. I have to take care of what's important to me. I'm tired of fighting, Na. This way.." she looks to the bus, "This way, we both get a break. We all three get a break."

"What if Daryl comes back?"

"There's a reason he left."

"What? Because of us?" Nanami questions, "You can't just assume that."

"Let's go, people!" Abraham calls from the driver's seat.

"I'm not assuming. I'm putting two and two together and making the best decision for me. You were right about that, too. Then and now," Sakiko huffs, "I am selfish. But, sometimes, I think it's okay to be that way."

Ryan walks over with a bag of his own, Glenn close behind until he catches up to Maggie inside the bus. Ryan on the other hand pauses a few feet from the twins.

"Did he talk you into this?" Nanami asks.

"He tried to talk me out of it," Sakiko denies, "This is all me, Na. I'm making this decision. It's not being forced on me or manipulated against me."

"So.. You're just.." Nanami weakly motions, "Leaving?"

"I am," Sakiko nods, straightening the strap of her bag on her shoulder, "It's best this way."

Sakiko gives a wave to Michonne before sliding back on her feet until she's by Ryan. Ryan nods to Nanami, hoping the other guy wouldn't hate him. Once she's close enough, Ryan wraps an arm around Sakiko to guide her into the bus.

Rosita helps them put their bags away and the couple finds a seat to themselves. Sakiko doesn't look out the window, figuring it would be best for her to not dwell on her decision and see the faces of the others.

Nanami stood right outside her window, hand up to touch the van that felt cursed for taking his sister away from him. There were tears in his eyes, only making it more confusing and difficult in his mind.

They were arguing like crazy, and couldn't get on the same page to save their lives.. But, why did this hurt so badly?

Abraham starts the van up and Sakiko slips her hand into Ryan's for a sense of security, looking ahead to watch Maggie as the older woman gave her strength as well.

Then, they are driving away.

Nanami took a few weak steps like he was going to run after them, but they are on the road within seconds.

"Na," Sophia calls, placing her hand on his back.

Nanami stares until the van is gone, his face scrunching in frustration before he jerks free of Sophia's hold and storms off into the woods.

--

Fuck Daryl Dixon.

Honestly.

Resting his head on the wall behind him, Daryl could only curse himself and his choices.

Fuck his instincts. Fuck his emotions. Fuck his reflexes. Fuck his empathy. Fuck his love.

Fuck Daryl Dixon.