try

Hershel holds Sakiko's hands as he wipes them clean with a towel. For a moment, she questioned how he could do such delicate work when his hands were so rough.

"We thought we saw you two get out together. It's good that was true," Ryan tells Michonne.

"We found Rick later on. But, we made it," Michonne nods.

"I was looking for Carl and Judith," Rick rasps.

"Carl was with Glenn- we saw them, too," Ryan helps out.

"I was with Beth for a while. She was looking for the kids," Daryl recalls.

"You were with her?" Hershel repeats, "Where is she now?"

"We got overrun.. Some car with a white cross on the back was booking it by the time I made it out. Either she went on her own or.." Daryl trails off.

"Or someone took her," Hershel finishes, a sad look in his eyes, "What about Maggie? Did anyone see Maggie?"

"Beth mentioned Maggie went looking for Glenn," Daryl breaks the silence.

Hershel nods, remembering that Sakiko and Ryan had seen Glenn and Carl on their own without Maggie. Both of his kids were up in the air- no clue on where they had gone.

"This Terminus place.. Have you all seen the signs?" Rick asks.

"A few," Ryan nods, "We were planning on going there if we didn't find anyone."

"I think we should go," Hershel says, something Rick and Michonne had heard from him a few times now, "Maggie would go there. The others would. It's the closest thing to a landmark we can find."

"Okay," Rick nods, looking over the small group, "We'll go. Rest up for a bit longer. We'll leave within the hour."

Rick breaks from the group, taking a walk to gather his thoughts and a plan. Michone follows after him, figuring that even though he was carrying himself- he shouldn't be alone.

"There," Hershel breathes out, "Much better."

Sakiko looks to her now clean hands, a lump in her throat. Her hands didn't feel as clean as they looked. Her entire body felt dirty if she was honest. She felt that man had tainted her with his intentions.

"Hey," Daryl pats her back, "You wanna go hunt real quick? Last-minute snacks?"

Slowly, Sakiko nods and picks her weapons up silently. Daryl asks Hershel to pass the memo to Rick and Michonne- noticing how Sakiko ducked Ryan's kiss. Once ready, the pair take off into the woods once more.

"Wanna make a bet?" Daryl offers, trying to get Sakiko to make any noise.

"Gambling is illegal," she mutters.

"Good thing we got the cop on our side," he says in reference to Rick.

Sakiko doesn't say anything, only continuing onwards. Daryl sighs for a second, stepping closer to her.

"You wanna talk about it?"

"Talking isn't allowed when hunting," she reminds him of his own rule.

Again, Daryl feels defeated. Sure, they had never been ones to open up about their feelings, but it's clear that last night was weighing on Sakiko.

"Kiko-"

Sakiko cuts him off as she flies her knife through the air- the blade wedging into a squirrel that was climbing the tree ahead.

"I win," she says, jogging ahead to pry the being off the wood.

She takes a second to wipe the blood off the knife and onto her jeans, already knowing Hershel would comment on it once they're back with the others.

Daryl leans up against another tree, feeling lost as he watches Sakiko. they'd never been in a situation like last night, for multiple reasons.

Sakiko had called Daryl 'dad'.

Sakiko was assaulted.

Sakiko was beginning t remember that day- the day Merle and Nanami died.

Instead, Daryl figures to change the topic.

"You miss the prison?" he asks, already regretting it.

Sakiko looks at him with confusion and a hint of anger. 

"I.." Daryl exhales, "Look, I'm trying."

Sakiko made it clear already that she missed the prison. Nanami's grave was there, in her eyes she had left him behind.

"Well, don't," she frowns, stepping away from the tree.

Daryl wishes he couldn't.

But, the reality is that ever since they met- he's been trying. He's said things that he knew were wrong, others awkward.

That time he'd told her to go live with their aunt and move away.. She'd stormed away with tears in her eyes- a face that still haunted Daryl to this day.

Stopping Nanami outside and telling him that he was 'friends' with Sakiko.. Seriously, it's a wonder the kid didn't call the cops on him then and there.

Daryl didn't have a way with words per say.. He was winging it as he went on.

But, the thing he knew wasn't a mistake was going with the kids when they left.

Sure, Atlanta was a hellhole in itself, but he was with his kids. Sure they had issues, but they made it through them all.

Telling Sakiko and Nanami to get in the truck was the best decision he ever made- not a mistake.

"Kiko.." he breathes, "There's something I gotta tell you."

Sakiko tosses the dead squirrel to him that he narrowly catches.

"Save it. I'm not hungry so I'm going back to the others," she mumbles.

Daryl can only watch as she walks away before dropping the squirrel on the ground, deciding he didn't have an appetite either.

--

"You two stay here. Things go south, we're gonna need eyes out here," Rick tells Hershel and Sakiko.

"If Maggie or Beth are here-" Hershel begins.

"Then, we'll get them and come back for you. We can't risk you being in there," Rick denies.

Hershel knew that was only because of his leg- but Rick didn't have the heart to look him in the eyes and tell him that.

"And if there's any need for guns-" Rick begins, looking to the spot Sakiko was just at, "Sakiko?"

"Goddamn it," Daryl curses, chasing after Sakiko.

She was already halfway up the fence, swinging her leg over the other side.

"Kiko!" he hisses.

She ignores him, dropping down to the other side. Michonne hurriedly goes after her, jumping the fence with ease.

"Ryan-" Rick begins.

"I got it out here. Go on," Ryan waves off.

Rick pats his shoulder, going over the fence after Daryl. Together, Hershel and Ryan keep base outside the walls, Hershel taking a seat on a fallen tree.

"They'll be okay," Ryan mutters.

"They will," Hershel agrees, "So will we."

Faintly, they could hear Daryl scolding Sakiko again as their voices fade further into Terminus.