Chapter 7 - Just Beginning

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

***

Jennie had bȧrėly changed out of her dress when a servant came running to her room. Two maids were helping her out of the emerald green gown when a curt knock was heard at the door. She placed a hand upon her ċhėst. It had just been unzipped in the back, and the dress would have fallen if it wasn't for her aid.

"My lady," a voice frantically requested.

Jennie sighed. "Zip the dress back up," she instructed.

The maids turned their snobby noses to her. They did not like to serve this freeloader. No one knew of her true identity, except that she was the childless Viscountess Eleanor's niece.

The maids had no choice. This was their job. No matter how much they despised the freeloader suċkɨnġ up their Viscountess' money, the maids rezipped the dress.

Jennie took a step forward. "You may come in now," she managed to say.

Now that Jennie was home, she was no longer as nervous. At the ball, her stuttering had worsened. There were too many people present. The incessant chattering and faux laughter bothered her too much. It had been difficult to focus on her speech.

Aunt Eleanor's constant badgering was of no help, either. It was a brutish attempt. Her intentions meant well, but her heart was in the wrong place.

"My lady," the servant outside the door said with a hesitant stare.

Her fingers wrung before her light grey attire. All of the maids in the house wore this uniform. Back in the day when the Marden Family was considerably wealthy, maids were forced into prim and proper skirts, whilst doing the most extensive house chores.

However, it was modern times now. Sleek cars ran on the highway, planes whirled through the skies, and buildings climbed towards the Heavens.

Times have changed. Now, servants wore grey slacks and white blouses. The clothes were more manageable and easier to walk in.

"What is it?" Jennie inquired. It seemed the maid was in a rush. She was catching her breath as if having sprinted a marathon.

"Viscount Marden would like to see you, my lady."

Jennie's throat constricted. Viscount Sebastian Marden was not a kind man. In contrast to his babbling wife, he was a strict man of little words. When he did speak, it was always with a frown. He behaved as if the world had wronged him. Nothing made him happy. Nothing made him smile.

"Alright then," Jennie reluctantly said. She folded her hands together. Her fingers tightly gripped each other for support. If not, they would be shaking, like her nerves.

"Please take me to see him."

- - - - -

Jennie's fate was sealed. She was never going to leave this house alive. She would have to relinquish her inheritance to the Marden family. She couldn't fathom why her chatterbox Aunt Eleanor married Viscount Sebastian.

Aunt Eleanor was the older sister of Jennie's late mother. They came from humble beginnings, with a status lower than that of a Viscount, which was already considerably low on the hierarchy. It was a miracle that Adeline's mother had married a Prince.

"V-Viscount Marden," Adeline greeted. She bowed her head in respect.

Jennie had just entered the room. Her shoulders were already trembling. It was difficult to not cower before him.