Chapter 14 - As You Wish

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

***

Jennie had a restless night. She had managed to doze off, only to be startled awake again by her night terrors. This time, instead of walking through a dark hallway, she was walking through ruins.

Crumbled marble was everywhere she glanced, and puffs of storm clouds surrounded her. It was as if she was walking beyond the ground and above the skies. All was fine, until thunder struck the ground she walked on and blood appeared on her hands.

Even though Jennie was in the ballroom, she couldn't stop thinking about the dream.

"Why the long face?" Aunt Eleanor questioned with a frown. "You look exhausted. Did you sleep at all last night?"

Jennie shakily nodded her head. They were in the ballroom already, but looking at the beautiful floor and scenery made her nauseous. What was that strange dream about from this morning? She had woken up with a tear stained face, as if the sight of her dream was the most depressing thing in the world.

"Yes, I did—"

"Then act like it," Aunt Eleanor chided. "I put you in this lovely jade-color dress, so the least you can do is wear a smile and find a suitor."

Adjacent to them, Asher stiffened.

Jennie tiredly nodded again. She couldn't think straight with her clammy hands and thrashing heart. She felt the inquisitive stare of Asher boring a hole through her skull. He would not stop gawking at her.

"Can... I get some fresh air?" she hesitatingly asked her Aunt.

"No, absolutely not!" Aunt Eleanor hissed. She yanked the wrist of her niece and stepped closer. "I let you run off yesterday and you were gone the entire night, putting your expensive dress to waste."

Jennie shifted her eyes to Aunt Eleanor. There was festive music in the background, reeking of elegance and prestige. Everyone was all smiles and laughter, while they exchanged conversation with each other, whether it was about their conglomerate, or their high position in the world.

All this joy, and she was unhappy.

"I didn't go anywhere, I was dancing with a woman, Aunt Eleanor," Jennie stressed. She couldn't hold it in any longer. "Yesterday, I was on the dance floor with a Pure-Bred. Didn't you see me?"

Aunt Eleanor recoiled, dumbstruck. "What are you talking about, Jennie? I saw no such thing!" she whisper-yelled. It would be problematic if people overheard their bickering.

They'd assume Jennie was an unarguable woman. She was already unpopular with the suitors. Adding another mark to her slate would not do her any good.

"But I really was dancing—"

"Enough, I will not tolerate your lies," Aunt Eleanor growled. "I was looking for you the entire night. I would've known if my niece was on the dance floor."

Jennie suppressed a groan. She looked away, obviously irritated. Did Aunt Eleanor despise Vampires to the extent that she refused to acknowledge the dance?

.

"Asher, you saw me dance with that woman, right?" Jennie queried. She had faith he would not lie. He had never done so before. She trusted him with her life for a reason.

"Asher?" Aunt Eleanor piqued. She raised an expectant brow and threw him an incredulous expression.

Asher glanced from the Madam to his little Jennie. What was he supposed to say?