Chapter 39 - Fail Him

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

***

Weston gawked at Jennie in disbelief. His jaw was slack, and he nearly scoffed. Was this woman serious? And here he was, thinking Lydia was the crazy one.

There was a fire in Jennie 's eye. It was a tiny flame that could swallow a forest. The demure little girl from that night was gone.

Weston was speechless. He did not know what to say to harshly put her down. She needed to understand her place. In the eyes of the King, women were plenty. Many willingly tossed themselves at His Majesty, hoping that just one of them would stick around. Everyone tried, but no one succeeded.

Jennie was just one of many. Soon, the King would grow tired of her. Like a child towards a new toy, he was infatuated with her for a brief moment.

"How pitiful," Weston murmured.

Lydia was taken aback. Instantly, she opened her mouth to argue. But seeing his expecting stare, she clamped her lips shut. She refused to continue arguing with him.

Lydia Claymore turned upon her heels and pulled Jennie with her. "Let's go, Jennie, we'll find our way to the banquet by ourselves."

Jennie did not protest. She followed Lydia down the hallways, forgetting about the pain in her shoes. With the support of Lydia, suddenly the ache was not there. She felt strange. Her body hummed with a drive she wasn't aware of. Confidence was bursting at her chest, but it was out of nowhere. Why was that?

Feeling a burning stare behind her, Jennie snuck a final look behind her. Weston was glaring. But not at her.

- - - - -

Lisa's grip tightened upon the railing. He had given his speech, thanking the people for coming here, and celebrating the last night of the ball. Now, he was upon the platform, watching everyone laugh and dance. Everyone was having fun. The air was lively and cheerful. He intended for it to be that way. But, there was a hint of hostility, from the Vampires' predatory gaze towards the meek Humans.

"Your Majesty," Easton warily commented.

The King bore a dark, cunning glower. His eyes were a glimmer of black mahogany. A shadow crossed over his defined features. He was not in a good mood.

"You might break the railing if you continuously hold it like—"

Crack.

"—that," Easton finished.

Easton glanced at the railing. It was made out of marble. He visibly gulped. What was irritating the King to this extent?

His Majesty rarely showed a displeased face. In order for the people to be at ease, the leader had to be calm and composed. For them to be happy, the King should smile.

"Place this castle on lockdown," Lisa gritted out.

Easton blinked. "What?"

"Are you daft?" Lisa deadpanned.

Easton smiled. "No, just a little bit deaf, that's all."

Lisa scoffed. He cast Easton a warning stare.

"I'm on it, Your Majesty," Easton said. He reached into his suit and felt his phone inside of his button-up pocket. Just as he pulled out the flat device, he heard an unfamiliar set of heels clicking upon the ground.

His Majesty heard it as well.

Lisa glanced towards his left, and there she stood. Jennie was upon the bottom of the stairs that led to the platform. Her eyes had grown wide with curiosity, her soft, rosy lips parted. She seemed a bit surprised.