Chapter 49 - Sour Mood

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

***

Weston watched with irritation as His Majesty carried Jennie out of the room. Forget being the talk of the town, they were going to be the talk of the nation tomorrow. He held back a sigh, knowing people would view Jennie as His Majesty's weakness.

"Smile, Wes." Easton shook his head with a smile. "Maybe His Majesty truly found someone he loves."

Weston loudly scoffed before rolling his eyes. "His Majesty is unable to love. He does not know that emotion. She merely amuses him, that's all."

Easton pitifully glanced towards the ground. It was true. His Majesty did not possess the human emotions of "love." That was why the council of the Empire of Wraith believed His Majesty needed to wed the Ruby Jane. She was a miracle of a woman, and perhaps, she could perform a miracle on Wraith's heartless King.

"If only the late Queen didn't experiment on His Majesty..." Easton muttered.

Easton closed his eyes and instantly regretted it. The face of a desolate boy, with a humorous smile but aloof eyes, flashed in his mind. The gurgling of blood, a wretched scream in a cellar, and a massive explosion.

"No amount of tears will reverse time," Weston snapped.

Weston did not enjoy talking about the topic. It was taboo, and not many people knew of it. The incident had happened two centuries ago.

"Besides, if his Majesty does not regret it, we do not have the rights too," Weston growled. "The experiment gave him a power unlike any other. What rights do we have to complain?"

Easton pressed his lips together, holding back a comeback. So what if His Majesty was able to control the shadows? So what if he inherited the traits of the devil? What was the point of it all if he could not appreciate it? What was the point of living if His Majesty did not understand love, no matter how much of his friends adored him?

"Don't look so grim, Ease," Weston sighed. He patted his brother upon the back and forced a smile. "You heard Matriarch Dorothy. 'When the Noble Flower blooms, a seedling will grow in an empty room.'"

Easton reluctantly nodded his head. Talking about the past made him unhappy. Especially when he knew he couldn't have done anything to save his good friend.

"The prophecy is obviously talking about the Golden Flower," Weston added on. "Once we confirm her identity, she will be able to teach His Majesty compassion and love."

Easton nodded again. He didn't feel like speaking. No matter what, they have to find the Ruby Jane.

Easton would do everything in his power to find her. With this mindset in mind, he did not realize the time that had passed by.

Soon, the music softened and slowed down, as the night came to an end. Excited but somber chatter was heard, as the twins made preparations to bid the guests goodbye. They stood by the exit, with polite smiles and best wishes for the esteemed guest.

One by one, the faces became a blur for Easton. He numbly bid them farewell and welcomed them back to the castle. The twins thanked the guests for attending, as Weston became the life of the party with his generous smiles and respectful nods.

- - - - -

"That was exhausting," Weston muttered.

Weston leaned against the closed doors of the exit. He swept a tired gaze over the ballroom.