Chapter 18 - Ruby Jane

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

***

Jennie waited a few more minutes before she finally left the balcony. That way, no one would have suspected that she and Lisa were together. She wasn't sure if she walked like a normal woman, or just zoomed through the room. Regardless of which option it was, everyone knew.

She could see it in the pressing eyes that ranged from shades of burgundy to orange-brow. Vampires. They were all aware of who exactly she had an exchange with. Not many people seemed happy.

" Jennie," Asher scolded the second he saw her. "Where did you go?"

Jennie warily glanced around their surroundings. The music played in the background, people waltzed on the dance floor, as conversations stimulated the air. But felt like every pair of eyes was glued to her—except for the rare amount of humans invited, who did not understand the exchange.

"For fresh air," Jennie admitted.

Jennie touched her grumbling stomach. She could feel her patience reach its limit. Whenever she was hungry, she was not a pleasant person to be around. Which was half of the time in the Marden estate.

Asher gently frowned. His fingers paled from the tight grip on the plate. "Are you lying to me, Jennie?"

"Have I ever lied to you?" she asked in a hardened tone.

Asher was left speechless. She rarely spoke to him like this. Almost instantly, her face softened.

"I'm sorry Asher, I'm just hungry," Jennie sighed.

Asher silently frowned. She needed to know snapping at people when irritated was not the best tactic. Wordlessly, he handed her the lemon tart. She gratefully reached a hand out, then paused.

"Where's the fork?" she asked.

Asher blinked. He glanced down, realizing he had forgotten the second most important thing.

"I apologize," he stated.

Asher retracted his hand. "The lemon tart is probably not as good as when it was freshly cut. I'll get you a new plate and fork."

Jennie slowly nodded her head.

"Behave, Jennie," he murmured. "Don't wander off again, Aunt Eleanor won't be happy with that."

Asher patted her upon the shoulders. He suddenly wished she wore something more conservatives. The dress was a bit more low-cut, revealing snippets of the top of her breast. Her collar was left bare, for everyone to see.

"I'll be right back," he grunted.

"Alright."

Asher walked off without another word. But he was mindful to keep a watchful gaze upon her.

Jennie 's attention traveled around the ballroom, searching for the familiar face of Aunt Eleanor. Just then, she noticed Aunt Eleanor speaking with the same gentleman from last night. They were by the pillars of the castle before, but now, they were nearing the exit of the ballroom.

Where were they going?

"They seem to be plotting something..." Jennie hoped he was not a suitor.

Curiosity nipped at her. She had a bad feeling about this. But Aunt Eleanor would never hurt Jennie. Aunt Eleanor had plenty of chances to kill Jennie if she wanted to. Especially when Jennie was just a young, orphaned girl at the age of ten.