Chapter 32 - Can't Afford To Feed Another Mouth

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not offended anyone.]

Let's continue

***

"I suppose this little girl will be the one who supplies your weapons to kill me, darling Jennie?"

Lisa only meant to tease her. He wanted to see her lovely, yet demure eyes waver with hesitation. Uncertainty was always upon her soft features. She was an earnest and determined woman that amused him. He wanted to know more of her, and the unexpected changes that happened in the decade he hadn't seen her.

In all honesty, Lisa had expected Jennie to behave like the infamous Lydia Claymore, who was known for her boisterous nature. Jennie used to be a lot more energetic. As a child, she would cause mischief.

"I-I guess my secret has been revealed..."

Lisa's eyes widened a bit. It was a tease, but she returned it with the truth. He shifted his attention towards her. She was seated upon the couch, with her back facing him, but her head and arm were turned towards him in surprise.

Her expression was always delicately beautiful. Her scent, her soft voice, her voice, everything drove him insane. And when she revealed that shy, teasing smile, something unfamiliar jolted.

"I-It was a joke," Jennie added on in a lower voice.

"Hah," Lisa's smile became a grimace.

For a second, he had believed her. After all, Duke Claymore was one of the largest suppliers of weapons for the Empire of Wraith. Though, the man was too loyal to turn his back towards Lisa — who had supported Kaline and Addison's marriage since the very beginning.

"You're not going to greet me?" Lisa softly demanded. He closed the doors behind him and focused all of his attention on her.

Jennie blinked for a few seconds. Slowly, she rose out of the couch, but there was a look of doubt on her face. He suppressed a smirk. It was a joke, and she was beginning to grow familiar with his nature.

"And you're not going to greet y-your fiancee?"

Lisa 's lips twitched. He wondered if it would be possible to not smile in her presence. Her curiosity humored him too much. She had not been in the high society's scene for a while.

A luxurious drawing-room like this would've overshadowed all of the unworthy people. Yet, she stood here, in the most simple and plain white dress, with cascading hair of gold and bright, emerald eyes. She didn't look like she belonged in this room. She looked like the room belonged to her.

"Then just for today, we'll pardon the greetings," Lisa smoothly said. He maintained his distance, deciding to watch her from the doorway.

Lisa was not someone that couldn't control his urges. He had been taught for decades to do so. But those were primal urges to feast upon blood. There was another type of instinct that he had long forgotten, until she tumbled back into his life.

"But we've never g-greeted each other," Jennie mumbled out, not knowing it was a sass.

Lisa noted she was blunt. Did she say whatever came to mind? Surprisingly, he enjoyed that.

"S-should we start from today and onwards?" Jennie added on, in a lower voice than before, as if bewildered by her own question.

"Would you like that, darling Jennie?" Lisa s countered.

Jennie instantly shook her head. "W-well I-I uhm—"

"I guess I'm not even here," Lydia deadpanned. She watched them like one would view a movie with popcorn and snacks. "I'm just an illusion. Don't mind me~"