Chapter 70 - I Disagree

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

***

Jennie felt like she was swindled by him. He walked out without another protest. When she glanced at his large back, it was as if he knew she was watching him. He waved her goodbye with a flick of two fingers.

"What did you tell the King for him to leave so easily?" Lydia asked the second he was out the door. They had spoken in hushed whispers that she was unable to hear.

Jennie awkwardly laughed. She softly scratched the side of her face and wryly smiled. "So the bakery shop?"

Lydia quickly perked up. She was happy to see Jennie wasn't as distraught as predicted. All of her woes were for nothing. She didn't want a bloodbath with her friend. She certainly didn't want to fight for a man either.

"It's located in the center of the capital. The shop is owned by a friend..."

- - - - -

Jennie and Lydia spent the remainder of the afternoon together. Time effortlessly went by whenever the pair were talking. Lydia informed Jennie of the latest gossip, as Jennie explained her encounter with the King. She deliberately left out the part of their drunken night and how she went to a hotel with a man. For all Lydia knew, Jennie was escorted home by a "close friend."

"Talking with you like this reminds me of the old times, Jennie," Lydia blissfully sighed. They had risen to their feet, for the sun was setting and Lydia had a business dinner to attend.

"We could have so many more of these long conversations if the damn Mardens weren't keen on locking you in their estate, Jennie," Lydia added on. Her face scrunched as if she bit into a sour plum.

"Ugh seriously," Lydia sighed. She clasped her hands over Jennie's, wondering how such a kind girl was so resilient in the face of abuse.

Jennie was usually more brazen and louder than her current self. In her youth, she was bubbly and energetic, with eyes that shined brighter than the sun.

There was not a day her rosy cheeks were graced by her large smile. She'd jump through the grass, run through the fields, and turn the hallways into her personal playground.

Now, she was a shell of what she used to be. Meek and demure. Quiet and obedient. No more backtalk, no more guns, no more training. Her enormous smile was replaced with shy smiles, her bright gaze replaced with composed stares, so much about her was changed.

"But I'm so glad to see your stuttering seems to have gone away a bit, Jennie. It seems, despite all of His Majesty's flaws, there is a blessing from this curse," Lydia added on.

Jennie blinked. Had she stuttered less? She hadn't realized it before. In the Marden Estate, all she did was stammer out of her anxiety, and flinch out of her nervousness.

"I still don't understand why you would let them abuse you like that. You're so strong Jennie, beyond their wildest dreams," Lydia groaned.

Even now, Lydia could remember the historic moment from four years ago. That day, she was finally able to take Jennie out for a tournament her Father sponsored. The two were entered, and everyone expected Leonard Claymore's daughter to win, but they were severely wrong.

'Mr. Claymore, is that your daughter, the prodigy you speak of? The one with the helmet and dominating the entire match? You must be very proud of her!' One of Leonard Claymore's friend had excitedly clamored. He was an important client and one of the largest investors of the business.