Chapter 24 - You're Scaring Me

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

***

Jennie gingerly touched the necklace. The tiny, pink rose trapped a glass droplet, shaped like a tear, reminded her of exactly who she was. This necklace used to stand for something else, but the meaning was long gone. She wrapped her hand upon the glass, cold to the touch, but filled with life.

"It suits you," Lisa gently murmured.

Her chest lightly rumbled whenever she spoke. Jennie was close enough to feel that, but not hear her heart—If she even had one in the first place...

"A little flower to suit a tiny Ruby," she teased. "All alone in this world, without friends or family."

Jennie ignored the play-on of her surname. Instead, she remained fixated on the necklace. Sometimes, it was warm.

A long, long time ago, Jennie would touch it, and all of her problems would go away. Now, she knew the small rose within the glass was fake. It did not die; no matter how many years went by.

"You said you were there to witness the birth of the first Princess of Kastrem," she softly whispered. "T-then how old does that make you?"

Lisa raised a brow. Her fingers gently ran over her collarbone, tracing circles upon her smooth, creamy skin.

"I don't think you'd like the answer."

"I-I still want to know..."

Lisa smirked. "Ever the curious one, aren't you?"

Jennie nodded.

Lisa reached behind her head. Her finger found the pins that held the small bun together. With the flick of her hand, her hair came undone, as everything cascaded down.

"You don't have to know." Lisa brought her hair over her shoulders, covering her delectable neck.

"But—"

"It's getting late," Lisa deadpanned. "Young girls like you should be in bed."

Jennie was grateful she didn't make another snide remark. Though, she was confused as to why she was playing with her hair. Lisa was arranging it, but to her irritation, strands of it were caught by her enormous ruby ring. Lisa's eyes narrowed in frustration.

"Here, let me h-help," Jennie stumbled out.

Jennie gingerly lifted her hand and slowly, but surely, detangled her hair from it. She suppressed the pain and pretended it wasn't there.

Soon, her ring was no longer caught in her irritating, straw-colored hair. It had the texture of one too.

Jennie despised how unruly her hair was sometimes. It behaved with a mind of its own, wild and a mess whenever she woke up.

"C-can you lend me a car to return home?" she asked in a small voice, hoping she wasn't cynical enough to let her walk the long road.

"Home?"Lisa echoed in a sharpened voice.

Jennie nodded her head. "Yes, the Marden Estate on the outskirts of the city—"

"This is your new home from now on, Jennie."

Jennie was startled. She looked up instantly, her lips parting. She took a step back, even though there was nowhere to go.

"But... but..."

"Dresses, jewels, shoes, you will have everything you need."

Jennie's grip tightened on her necklace. She didn't like to complain or make her unhappiness known. Lisa brought out the worst in her. She felt an argument rise in her throat.