Chapter 72-Our Contract

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

***

Jennie watched as Lisa headed for the car. He winked in her direction and she looked away, hiding a slight smile.

She ignored the disgruntled look on Aunt Eleanor's face, who was displeased by the public display of affection. Wordlessly, she followed her Aunt and Uncle into the estate, knowing Lisa was right behind her, but perhaps elsewhere and out of sight.

They went up the grand staircase and down the hallways leading to Viscount Marden's study room.

"You've gotten fat, Jennie." Aunt Eleanor pinched her niece's cheeks, frowning in disapproval. "Any more bites and you'd resemble a pig ready for slaughter. Have you been eating too much in the castle? You must watch your weight."

Jennie's smile disappeared.

"Perhaps instead of worrying about my body, you should stop projecting your insecurities onto me," Jennie said. She saw her Uncle stiffen and turn around, a dark glower on his face.

As a child, Jennie would freeze in her tracks and bow her head. Before coming to the Marden Estate, no one had ever shown her anger and disgust before. Not even her own Father glared or yelled at her. When the Mardens did it, she had been terrified.

But meeting Lisa and his haunting smile, dangerous stares, she had been desensitized to everything.

"Is there something wrong with your eyes, Uncle?" Jennie innocently asked, blinking her eyes.

"Jennie!" Aunt Eleanor sharply gasped, turning to her niece. "You've gotten very naughty since your return from the castle. You must humble yourself more. This type of behavior is simply outrageous for a young woman like you!"

Aunt Eleanor crossed her arms. "Think about how your mother and father would feel, knowing they've given birth to such an unruly child. Do you wish to laugh at their graves and all their expectations for you?"

Jennie's heart ached. The mention of her parents had silenced her. This was one of Aunt Eleanor's favorite techniques.

"Just think, if they were watching you from Heaven, would they be happy at your current state? Dreary and demure, yet disrespectful and disruptive!" Aunt Eleanor let out the loudest sigh possible. She shook her head and let out a small, "Tut."

"Would my mother and father be happy to hear the insults you throw my way and the comments you make of them?" Jennie asked. "Why bring up the dead?"

Aunt Eleanor was astonished. She thought a different niece was brought back to her! Goodness, these days in the castle truly changed her! All of Eleanor's decade of training was going to waste, like rain washing away dirt.

"You disobedient—"

"Eleanor!" Viscount Marden sharply said.

Aunt Eleanor clamped her mouth shut. She glared at her niece and jutted her chin in the air. "You disappoint me. The next time you see me, I expect a formal apology. I won't tolerate any of this disrespect. As a result, you will not get access to your parents' albums!"

Jennie's face paled. She had hoped to grab them on her way out of here. Since it was evident that she wasn't welcome anymore, she might as well begin packing the things in here. After the year was over, she'd have to look for a new place to stay. With the hefty zeros in her fortune, she'd be able to find a comfortable place.

"Good, I hope you keep them," Jennie muttered. She heard her Aunt's sharp intake of breath as if she was unable to believe the audacity of Jennie.

Jennie walked past her blabbering Aunt and straight towards the doors of her Uncle's study room. He was a footstep behind, attempting to catch up with her. But she made him walk behind her. He was a Viscount, and she was soon to be a Queen—even if it was only for a year.