Chapter 55 - Personal Comedian

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

Jennie shot out of bed, out of breath and clawing at her throat. Her eyes burned with tears that never fell. Sitting upright, she could only take in haggard gasps of air. How was this possible? Why was this possible? What exactly was going on?

"F-Father tried to kill me?" she breathed out, her eyes trembling with disbelief. She refused to believe it. Her Father, gentle and kind, would never do such a thing to her.

He would never try to kill her!

Jennie could not wrap her head around it. But what other explanation was there for that dream? It felt real. She had experienced the feeling of someone grabbing her throat, squeezing it, as the world gradually fled from her eyes.

People say your life flashes before your eyes when you're about to die.

Jennie had witnessed it before. She had seen her entire childhood play out like a movie. It was going at the speed of light, but for some reason, she could see each image perfectly. But then, everything came to a screeching halt, when she could suddenly breathe again.

"It can't be true..." Jennie's voice cracked towards the end. She buried her face into her hands and furiously held back the tears.

"Why did Father try to kill me?" Jennie whispered to herself.

Her hands slowly lowered, and she was forced to contemplate this question for a while. She noticed her fingers were shaking, like the rest of her body. It wasn't Winter yet, but she was already breaking out in a cold sweat that felt like ice on her skin.

"What did I do wrong...?"

Jennie couldn't understand. She had always been an obedient daughter. She rarely caused her parents any trouble. The few times she was scolded was because she had accidentally broken something.

"My sweet," a gentle voice murmured.

Jennie jumped with fear. Her head snapped to the left side of the room, where the doors had opened. Lisa was standing there with a nonchalant expression.

"Why are you awake?" Lisa asked in a deep voice.

"L- Lisa ..."

Lisa surveyed her features. Her hair was a mess, and there were unshed tears in her eyes. He narrowed his eyes upon her neck. He saw bright red nail marks. Judging from her reaction, she had a nightmare.

Suddenly, he was reminded of the past, where she'd wander his castle at night. He'd scold her and warn her to behave. But she always clung to him, naive as always, believing he could chase her demons away.

This little fool.

"It's way past midnight, darling. You should be asleep." Lisa quietly shut the doors behind him.

"I-I had a nightmare."

"I see," Lisa calmly responded.

Lisa approached the bed and gently placed his hands upon her upper arms. She glanced up at him, a frantic look on her beautiful features. Her eyes were moistened, but she didn't let out her tears.

"Let's get you back into bed, my sweet." Lisa lowered her back onto the bed.

She was watching him as if he had grown three heads. What was so surprising?

"What's wrong?" gently teased her. He brought the blankets up to her chest and ignored the fact that she was still wearing the dress. He'd have her change out of it tomorrow when she was more aware of her surroundings and would give consent.