Chapter 75 -Behave Yourself

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

***

After their exchange in the gardens, the day went like a blur. Jennie had wandered into Lisa's room again, but this time, he wasn't there. She found it odd that there were guards in front of her door, but not his. Didn't he have more things to hide? Shouldn't he need more protection?

Lisa had duties of the nation to attend. Jennie was dying of boredom, thus, walked into his bedroom where she had seen an entire wall lined with bookshelves a day ago.

Sure enough, her eyes didn't fool her. She stepped into the room, amazed by the bookshelves that took up an entire wall, from ceiling to ground. Her lips parted in amazement as she explored each part.

"Let's see..." Jennie read a few of the titles, her brows knitting together in disappointment.

Economics, accounting, finance, philosophy, it was books that she expected someone of his caliber to read. She had hoped for fictional novels to entertain her. The non-fiction books he had on his shelves were ones she had already read or heard before.

Jennie straightened up and quietly sighed. Viscount Marden had never allowed her to read informational things, but she always found a way. Asher would always sneak her whatever she wanted to read. She'd hide it with her other books and once she was done, would give it back to him.

"Asher has been missing..." Jennie straightened up, wondering if she should ask Lisa for help. "I doubt he'd give guidance in this."

Jennie crouched down and began to look through more of Lisa's books. Her eyes lit up when she found an extremely small collection of fictional stories, but her shoulders sagged in disappointment. They were horror and thriller.

"Where could've Asher gone to?" Jennie opened one of the mystery novels. She read through the summary, but her mind was elsewhere. "The last time I saw him was weeks ago at the ball...."

Jennie tried to remember if he had told her about plans of going anywhere. He didn't. He questioned Lisa, but didn't say anything about his life. Holding back a sigh, she brought the book with her to one of the couches in the room.

"It's expected Asher would leave the Marden estate when I'm not there, but so soon?" Jennie touched the pages of the book and glanced towards the window.

The sun had set in the sky and nightfall was approaching.

Jennie stared into the distance, wondering if something happened to her dear friend. He was strong and well-trained. He wouldn't have gone down without a fight. But then again, who would've targeted him?

"I should ask Lisa for help. No matter what, I have to convince him."

"Convince me of what, darling?"

Jennie yelped in surprise, the book falling from her hands. It loudly thudded onto her ground. She turned around in a hurry, but didn't see anyone there.

"Here."

Jennie shrieked. She turned back to her original position and found Lisa standing directly in front of her. He placed the book infront of her. She glanced at his hand, large and calloused. Her heart raced in her chest.

"Y-you scared me."

"Evidently."

Jennie took the book from his hands, hers shaking in response. She didn't like to be snuck on.

"You must've been doing something naughty to have that reaction," he teased.

Jennie's stomach knotted at his words, her heart racing. She lifted her head to see he was watching her. A dark, devious smirk twisted his perfect features. Sometimes, she'd hear the maids whisper about his good looks. Whenever he walked, the maids would bow, but risk their lives to sneak a peek at him.