Chapter 28 - Don't Be Mean

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

***

Jennie's eyes snapped open. She sat up in bed, her forehead drenched in a cold sweat.

What a strange dream.

It was the first time she had seen Lisa in her dreams. She seemed quite familiar with her as well.

Jennie recalled she was wary of strangers. She still was. She rarely smiled at her relatives, much less a stranger. If little Jennie had requested Lisa to pick her up, and even feed her, then it must have meant she had her full trust in her. But how was this possible?

Jennie did not remember meeting Lisa until that night. As the years went by, she gradually forgot her childhood memories.

"This is too bizarre," she said to herself.

There was nothing Jennie could do. She would just have to ask Asher. He would know something. He had accompanied her for a long time now.

With this new mission in mind, Jennie slipped out of bed. She didn't bother checking the time, before pulling back her curtains. The sunlight washed over her, basking her in warmth. To her delight, it was morning! She could leave this castle now!

Jennie instantly perked up. She hurriedly tried out one of the various doors in her room. Soon, she found one of the two closets. To her bewilderment, the closets were fully stocked with clothes. Dresses, shirts, pants, jewels, enormous mirrors, there was everything a girl could ever need.

"At least he doesn't know my measurements," Jennie whispered to herself, upon noticing the various sizes of clothes.

She couldn't even imagine how Lisa would know. Jennie grabbed whatever was the easiest to wear. In this case, it was a slip-on slip-dress that didn't require zippers or anything.

Jennie placed it on and ran a hand over the pleated skirts. The dress was as white as the morning sy, but made her look like a ghost.

Knock. Knock.

Jennie blinked. She had just stepped out of the room when there was a quiet knock on her door. Believing it was the maids, she hurriedly ran towards the door and opened it for them.

"G-good morning!" she excitedly greeted.

Jennie's great mood soured.

"Someone is in a dapper mood," she commented.

Lisa loomed over her, with her hands tucked into her pockets. She has dressed in all black again, with a silky button-up that had the sleeves rolled up to her elbows, revealing thick chords on her toned arms. The shirt was unbuttoned toward the top, showing a glimpse of her strong neck.

"What's wrong?" she teased. "Did I ruin your morning already?"

Lisa had noted how quick she was to frown. Where did that cheery smile go? Amused by her antics, she pinched the side of her cheek.

"It's good to see the bride is already in white," Lisa said, just to get on her nerves even more.

Jennie didn't react. It seemed she was growing familiar with her antics by now. But her frown deepened a bit.

"T-that's not funny."

"Hmph, tough crowd."

Lisa remained by the doorway, one hand clutching the frame and the other caressing her smooth cheek. Lisa was amazed that she didn't shove her hand away.