Chapter 8 - He Knows The Answer

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

***

Viscount Sebastian chuckled. It was faint and sounded like a breath. Viscount Sebastian had never been so entertained by her stupidity. Jennie was exactly like her mother. She was just a pretty face with no brain. How did a fool like her find a fault in a legal contract?

"S-so if you can be patient enough," Jennie assured him "I will fulfill your request soon."

Viscount Sebastian loudly laughed. The taunting noise echoed in the room and sent her flinching back.

Her eyes clamped shut in fear.

His lips curled into a snarl. Her terrified reaction was just like that of the past when he saw her before her parents ever did. It was funny how the world worked.

"What a brave girl you've become," Viscount Sebastian spat out.

The Mardens had always been at the mercy of the Kim. Jennie's father was a Crown Prince. Prince Kaline of Kastrem. They were only Princes and Princesses in a name.

A castle didn't reside in Kastrem. It was forbidden for any other castle to be built beside the one possessed by His Majesty. However, Crown Prince and Princesses resided in enormous mansions that might as well have been castles.

Kastrem's expansive land was valuable. Residing on their land were large mines where precious gemstones had been unearthed for decades. The mines gave the Rose family their wealth.

Crown Prince Kaline was filthy rich. His fortune was supposed to be given to Jennie the day she turned twenty-one. It was an unexpected age. Children usually inherited their parent's fortune when they turned eighteen.

It was as if Prince Kaline knew he was going to die and there would be people fighting for Jennie 's wealth. Why prolong it for three extra years? What was he waiting for?

"Fine then," Viscount Sebastian said. He could wait two more days. The dance was held for three and the first had passed. Soon, Jennie's fortune would be his.

His sardonic expression morphed into satisfaction. He watched as she politely placed the paperback onto his desk. A girl of her lineage and blood, bowing her head like a servant. He truly enjoyed that sight.

- - - - -

" Jennie?" Asher called from down the hallway.

Asher had been searching everywhere for her. From the first floor of the estate to the fifth, there was not a single inch of the large house that he did not investigate.

"He summoned you into the private study again?" Asher sharply asked. He rushed to her in no time, knowing the Viscount did not treat women well. He should have known this was where she would be.

Jennie was visibly shaken. Her eyes were wide. She stumbled over her footing and nearly tripped, but caught herself in time.

Seeing her like this made his blood boil. Did that wretched Viscount hurt his niece again? What gave that man the right to do so? Jennie was a Princess!

"Asher," she whispered. "I have to do it."

Asher's anger was momentarily blinded by confusion. He didn't understand what she was babbling about.

"What are you talking about?" he questioned in a hardened voice. A second later, he cringed. It sounded harsh, even in his own ears.

"He agreed," she mumbled.