Chapter 85-After All This Time

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

***

"I'm getting a bit hungry, prepare the same snacks as last time," Jennie said without taking her eyes away from the ledgers on the computer screen. She went through each number meticulously, even the smallest of charges.

Jennie always knew Lisa reigned with an iron fist, and almost everything in the country and castle went by him first. It was the reason why the empire never stopped flourishing, like the largest, oldest tree in a forest. However, it took one rot for the entire roots to be corrupted. Thus, Jennie combed through everything with a fresh eye.

"As you wish, Your Grace," Stella said, typing it quickly into her tablet for the other people to grab it for the Queen. Usually, she was always accompanying Jennie, never leaving the Queen's side even when a task had to be fulfilled.

Being the secretary of the Queen, Stella had many underlings. The pyramid of power was large and there were many tiers.

"Absolutely nothing," Jennie murmured to herself. "No corruption, no mismanagement. Is there anything for me to do in this castle?"

Jennie let out a small sigh and glanced away from the laptop, her gaze sweeping over her private office.

Jennie pressed her lips together. She hated to admit how flawless Lisa was. He didn't leave a single stone unturned, not even the tiniest of pebbles.

"What was that, Your Grace?" Stella asked. She had heard quiet whispers, but couldn't understand it properly.

"Nothing." Jennie glanced at Stella.

Jennie wanted to know if her staff were human or vampire, but it was such a rude question to ask. The most telling sign of a vampire wasn't the stereotypical red eyes.

Only a selected few possess the rare quality, and it usually occurred in Pure-Bloods. The redder the eyes, the stronger the lineage and power. But when their eyes flashed the color of rubies, it was a telling sign of the person in power.

Jennie had never seen someone with eyes redder than Lisa's. His gaze was enough to wipe away an arrogant smirk and freeze someone on the spot.Discover, Devour, Delight: N♡vεlB¡n.

Jennie gritted her teeth. The more she tried to not think of him, the more she did.

"All set, Your Grace," Stella suddenly said. "The chefs are beginning to prepare the usual snack. Two sandwiches, refreshing iced drink, sliced fruits, cream cakes, and fruit tarts."

Jennie curtly nodded. She remembered these were Asher's favorite foods. Everyday, she visited him at night, hoping the small snack would bring back memories. Alas, it was to no avail. He'd eat the food hesitatingly as if starved for a long time. The entire time he ate, he could not look away from her.

Thousands of needles prickled Jennie's chest. His gaze was filled with thirst, like a man starved before a table of feast that he couldn't touch. She knew what he wanted, but she could never give it to him.

"Are you sure the snacks aren't spoiling your appetite, Your Grace?" Stella worriedly asked, her brows tugging together. "You've been sending away barely touched meals after your snacks."

"I'm fine," Jennie muttered. She twisted the ruby finger on her finger and continued glancing out the window. Just then, she thought of something.

"Did the phone I ordered arrive?" Jennie asked.