Chapter 58

"Does he have a pulse?!" Me. Joestar yelled behind you as you checked.

     Shocked by your discovery, you backed away. "He's dead! Polnareff's dead!" Looking in horror at the motionless man, your mind was racing.

     Polnareff... No, no, no! That can't be! You thought in denial as Jotaro double-checked himself. He silently nodded, confirming the truth.

     "The names D'arby," The man said, continuing to pet the cat on his lap. "Polnareff bet and lost... That's why I have his soul."

     "You-!" You began to scream, but quickly stopped when you saw the same faded replica of Polnareff appear above you. It was being morphed and squished by the gambler's Stand, and his cries were barely audible through the laughter of the enemy.

     "This is Polnareff's soul," D'arby informed, holding a small green chip with Polnareff's face imprinted into it. "It didn't take long to remove one of DIO's obstacles. He was pretty stupid."

     "YOU SON OF A-!" Avdol yelled, grabbing him and lifting him in the air by his collar. "Stop joking! 'Gambling'? That cat was yours all along! You were cheating!"

     D'arby spouted bullshit about the philosophy of cheating while you all watched, not sure what to do. You couldn't kill him or Polnareff would die. You couldn't lose to him, or you would die.

     "If you want Polnareff's soul back, you'll have to keep gambling," He finished, finally shutting his mouth. You all seemed panicked by his approach, but it was simple, really.

     With one smooth motion, Mr. Joestar swept everything off the man's table and filled a glass to the very top, dumping coins beside it. "You know what surface tension is, Barbie?" He asked, annoyed at the enemy's calm nature.

     "It's D'arb-"

     "It's easy," Mr. Joestar interrupted. "Well take turns putting coins into the cup. The one who spills the wine loses."

     "Old man, there's no way-!" You opposed.

     "Hey... Grandpa," Jotaro joined, his eyes wide and his worried scent filling your nose.

     "I'll wager my soul!" He finalized, ignoring your concerns.

     "Good," D'arby smiled.

     The game began, but, as you know, Mr. Joestar was outsmarted by the ignorant cheater, his soul taken just as Polnareff's was.

     You trembled at the sight of the old man motionless, your hands covering your quivering lips. Avdol grabbed the enemy, growling in complete fury.

     "I-it's my turn!" You announced, attempting to hide your fright. The alpha turned to you, intrigued.

     "Y/n," Jotaro immediately objected, his hand placing itself on your shoulder. "No, you won't be playing."

     "I will. Th-this doushbag needs to be taught a lesson."

     "No, Y/n, now's not the time," He stressed. Jotaro was extremely worried about you putting yourself at this kind of risk. In a game, he couldn't fight alongside you. He couldn't protect you from your soul being taken. Jotaro hated you being here in the first place because of the dangers it brought. Now, you were putting yourself forth like that, and he could not allow it. Your fear was visible and anyone could clearly smell it. What were you thinking?

     "I didn't know the omega would challenge me... Especially after seeing your friends lose their souls," He smirked, sitting back down in his chair. "So, what shall we play?"

     Being trapped in your home with no one but your parents, who treated you like nothing more than a slave, meant you'd never played games such as these. However, you knew one game, and you knew it well.

     "If you don't mind, D'arcy, I'd like to play Janken."

     He raised an eyebrow. "Rock, Paper, Scissors?"

     You nodded, your scent surely giving away your fake confidence.

     "Well, if that's what you wish to play, Omega, that's what we'll play. Just tell me what you'll be wagering." He responded, a sly smile on his cocky face.

     "My soul. I wager my soul."

     The game was about to begin, and you thought long and hard about his first move. You weren't very smart, so this game was primarily about luck for you. Jotaro silently kept his hand on your shoulder, growling at the enemy as you began.

     He must have thought you were somewhat strategic when it came to this game, but you weren't. In fact, you had no idea what to do or why you were doing this.

     Perhaps it was to save yourself from witnessing more allies fall into the traps this man set. It may have been a selfish reason, but what else could you do but helplessly fight for your friends? You couldn't just stand back and watch.

(761 words) Thank you for reading! There's more, so continue on to the next chapter! (个_个)