Chapter 61

"I'm just worried about him," You confessed as you waited on the sidewalk for the man to return. "Iggy always goes off on his own, but we're so close to DIO... he could get himself hurt with how small he is..."

"Y/n," Polnareff hesitantly began, keeping his distance as Jotaro approached you, his eyes on the French man. "You know, Iggy has a higher chance of survival... than you, right?"

You raised an eyebrow just as Jotaro stopped beside you. "Because she's an omega?" He questioned.

Polnareff laughed nervously. "W-well, that, and she can't fight for her...self," He said with uncertainty. "What am I saying?" He mumbled in annoyance with himself, backing away from Jotaro's threatening glare. You stood in confusion as the conversation ended only seconds after it'd begun.

"Well, I'm going to go look for him," You announced with a huff as you began to walk away from the group.

"Y/n, you shouldn't go off on your own," Jotaro objected, quickly following behind you. "We should wait here for the beggar before doing anything else." His hand placed itself on your shoulder as you continued to walk down the street, looking for the tiny animal.

"I can't wait here. Iggy could seriously be in trouble, and I can't shake this restless feeling," You explained, your fists clenched together in frustration.

"Good grief," He mumbled. "Only for an hour."

A small smile on your face, you turned to thank Jotaro, but suddenly, he wasn't there. Your eyes grew wide as you frantically looked around, seeing that everyone was gone. You quickly sniffed for a scent- anyone's scent, but you couldn't smell anything.

"J-Jotaro?!" You called out, your heart beating faster as every second without him ticked by. It was like the dream you'd been forced into earlier that day, but now, it was much different. You were still in the same world, and you were awake... but everyone was gone.

"What if I told you that everyone's dead?" A woman's voice suddenly asked. You turned to her, alarmed. You could now smell her intoxicating scent, and it was too dark and evil for your nose to handle. You winced, covering your nose immediately.

"Who the hell are you?" You asked impatiently. She chuckled at your attitude, walking closer to you slowly.

"Marie P. D'arby," She answered, your eyes growing much wider as you heard her name. "You may know my older brother, Daniel J. D'arby." You growled, holding your head high as she continued to approach you. "He was a greedy fool who used cheating to win over his opponents. His own stupidity was what got you this far, girl. You'd be dead if he weren't more foolish than you."

"Do you gamble too?" You asked with a deep frown.

She nodded, her friendly smile quite believable to anyone who couldn't smell her dark intent. "I do, but I don't like cheating. Also," She smiled even wider, her sharp teeth sending a shiver down your spine. "I don't play games as he does. It requires too much thinking... so I like to get physical."

You didn't like the sound of the word, skeptical to even ask for elaboration. She laughed again, understanding your hesitance. "Girl, I don't want to fight you. I want to play!" She exclaimed, suddenly kicking her foot out in front of her.

Looking down, you saw a soccer ball slowly roll up to your shoes, stopping once it tapped the tips of your toes. Your expression softened as you smelled her true excitement, and she stopped a few feet away from where you stood.

"So?" She pressed. "Will you play a game? You'll be betting your soul, of course. I, too, have my way of collecting what I earn."

You looked up at her, pushing down any signs of fright as you spoke. "How do you collect souls?"

"Trophies," She answered, a large grin on her face. "I have many, but they're quite large, so I didn't bring any to show you, sorry."

You sighed. "I guess, I'll play. I haven't played any sports before though," You confessed, looking at the ball with uncertainty.

"Is that so? Well, I heard you weren't exactly a part of the world until fifty days ago, but it'll be fine!" She said with a bit too much enthusiasm for being your enemy. "I'll teach you, girl!"

She bent down and picked up the ball, holding it under her arm as she stared at you intently. "We don't have much time before the others realize you're gone, so we'll play a simple game." She paused for only a moment before suddenly snapping her fingers.

Walking past you, she threw the ball into the air, and when it hit something you couldn't see, it made a swoosh sound that'd you'd heard before. Turning around, you saw a tall basketball net standing where it hadn't been before.

"Do you know how to play basketball?" She asked, grabbing the ball, which was no longer meant for soccer, but this sport.

You shook your head, only half telling the truth. You didn't exactly know how to play the game, but my room had a bucket that I would continuously throw balls of trash into. I had gotten very good over the years, and this was similar, wasn't it?

"Well, then we'll just play a shooting game. It's simple, girl. All you gotta do is throw it into the net, okay? But, if after you shoot it once, you miss, I can shoot too. If I shoot it in before you, you're out. If you make it before me, you wait for me to shoot once more before shooting again. Then, if you make it, I'm out... Okay?" She explained, the words flying out of her mouth like she wasn't speaking Japanese at all.

"O...kay..." You responded as she passed you the ball with light force. You caught it, but holding it in your hands, you were even more uncertain.

"I'll let you shoot a few practice shots... just to get the feel of it. Then, well play a practice game so you understand how to play. After that, we'll play the game for real until one of us beats the other three games in a row," She spoke in one breath, taking another deep one once she'd finished talking.

You nodded slowly, looking up at the hoop, which was over four feet above your head. She directed you to where you had to stand, and you gulped, holding the huge ball in your tiny hands. Then, using all of your strength, you launched the ball at the net.

Your hand hanging in the air as you waited for it to go in, you leaned back in suspense as it flew toward your objective.

Then, it fell to the ground, over two feet away from the basket. Your anticipating expression fell, and you straightened as you cleared your throat. "It was only my first try," You told the woman and yourself. "I'll get it, and I'll win, s-so you'll lose in the end!"

You weren't sure whether you were telling her or you that last part, but it didn't matter- you would make your words come true. You had to.

(1212 words) Thank you for reading! There's more, so continue on to the next chapter! ଲ(ⓛ ω ⓛ)ଲ