14. Normalcy

Over the next few months, Genevieve began visiting Mathilde every week. But she made sure never to go on the same day twice, so that Tom didn't get suspicious of her.
She thought she was being careful, but during dinner one evening, she realised that she had slipped up.
The pair were sat in the smallest dining room, so they did not have a long table separating them. Genevieve was beginning to feel nervous, for Tom was sat right in front of her and he had just revealed that he knew that she had been leaving the house on multiple occasions.

"I didn't realise my actions were being monitored. I thought I was free to come and go as I pleased" said Genevieve defensively.
"You are. But I just thought that since you were a wanted criminal, you would want to remain hidden from the world. I didn't think you would want to leave the safety of our home, especially alone" admitted Tom.
"I did not break out of one cage, only to spend the rest of my life trapped in another" snapped Genevieve.
"This won't be forever, for I promised you that I will take over the wizarding world, soon. And you know that I always keep my promises".

"I know, but I cannot waste away inside this building, waiting for that to happen. I need to go out and do things. I'm not an idiot though, I am well aware that I am a wanted criminal. Which is why I always use magic to disguise my appearance, when I leave the house. I don't take unnecessary risks" reassured Genevieve.
"Alright, I'm sorry for getting angry. But you must have expected me to notice your frequent disappearances, eventually. So you knew I would confront you about it" replied Tom.
"To be honest, I didn't think you paid that much attention to what I did all day"
"I can't help but notice, when I come home from a meeting, and find you absent"
"Well, I'm sorry for making you worry, but I really am quite safe when I go out. And I have no intention of stopping going out".

"Am I allowed to know where exactly you are going on these little excursions?" Questioned Tom.
"If you want to know, I'll tell you. I meet someone in town, and we have a few drinks and sometimes a meal. That's it" lied Genevieve.
"Is this person a man?" Quizzed Tom, unable to hide the jealousy in his voice.
Genevieve rolled her eyes, "Oh yes. He's a very handsome man, with long brown hair, and tanned skin. He has huge muscles on every part of his body, and he knows how to treat me just right. Sleeping with him is like having sex with a god".
Instead of snapping, Tom chuckled, which suprised Genevieve.
"I expect you are having a very steamy affair with this muscular man" smiled Tom, as he continued the pretend story Genevieve had made up.

"Oh yes, him and I love each other and are thinking of eloping together. He's a Muggle with a small fishing boat, and we are going to sail across the world together" laughed Genevieve.
"It will be hard to raise a family on a small fishing boat" commented Tom.
"With my magical prowess we will catch so many fish that we can buy a bigger boat to support us and our 12 children"
"That's a lot of kids. But what will you do when you get old, and can't fish anymore?"
"Our children will continue the family fishing business and me and my sailor husband will die of old age in a care home at 90 years old, after living a long and happy life".

Silence filled the room as Genevieve began to picture her imaginary life with her made up husband.
She found it strange to imagine such a normal life, as hers had been anything but normal.
"So, who have you really been meeting?" Asked Tom a few minutes later.
"No one" sighed Genevieve.
"Then where have you been going?" Questioned Tom.
"Nowhere and everywhere. I like to walk about the town, like a normal person. I enjoy watching people go about their day, laughing about the things in their mundane lives. My own life is anything but normal, and sometimes I like to be reminded of what average witches and wizards do".

"I can never apparate to your side, when you leave here, which is why I have been so concerned about what you get up to" informed Tom.
"That's because I take my ring off, so that you can't track me, and can't ruin my illusion that I am a normal person. When I think of you, I remember who I am, and the parts of my life that I would rather forget. Which is why I don't want you to join me, when I'm out in town" explained Genevieve.
"Do you hate our life so much, that you enjoy pretending to be someone else?" Asked Tom quietly.
Genevieve shook her head and leaned across the table so that she could squeeze Tom's hand.
"I love being with you" insisted Genevieve.

"Then why do you like forgetting about us? Do you really wish that you were a different person?" Questioned Tom.
"No, I don't. I love you with all my heart, and I don't want to be anyone, but your wife. You give my life purpose and meaning. Without you I don't know what would have become of me, and I am so grateful for everything you have done for me... But there is a lot of suffering in my life, which is what I like to forget about, from time to time. Remembering about our children, and my time in Nurmengard, only brings me pain. Which is why, on occasion, I pretend to be someone else. But that does not mean I do not like my life with you. I love you, Lord Voldemort, and nothing will ever change that" informed Genevieve.

Tom smiled and squeezed Genevieve's hand back.
"I love you too. I was worried that being with me, made you miserable. So I'm glad that's not the case" said Tom.
"It is definitely not the case... I will try and limit my time in the outside world, if it makes you uncomfortable. But I cannot cut it out of my life completely. I need to leave this house on occasion, to stay sane. However, I understand that you like to be in control, and get worried when I'm not with you. Which is why I will do my best to please you" admitted Genevieve.

"No, I don't want you to stay trapped inside, for my sake. If going out into the world makes you happy, then keep doing it. I trust you enough to know that you won't get caught, for you are a very talented witch. So, I will not stop you from doing what you enjoy. You can even leave during the day, even if I don't have a meeting. For all I want, is for you to be happy" revealed Tom.
"Thank you, Vee" replied Genevieve.
"You're welcome".
Genevieve grinned.
She had used reverse psychology on Tom, as she had seen him do so many times to his death eaters. And now she was free to visit Mathilde as often as she liked, without needing to worry about him getting suspicious.