52. For The Greater Good

Genevieve didn't want Snape to die, for he had always been kind to her.
He was one of the most skilled death eaters in the army, with only Bellatrix being more powerful than him. So, he was a useful person to have on your side.
Snape had also healed Genevieve behind Tom's back, which was a big risk on his part, so she was forever in his debt.
But even though Genevieve didn't want Snape to be killed, she knew she couldn't do anything to save him.

Genevieve needed the Elder Wand work properly when Tom attempted to kill Harry, because she didn't want the curse to rebound again. Which is why she needed Tom to be the master of the Elder Wand.
She would not go back to jail and be parted from Tom ever again.
Snape would have to be sacrificed, for the greater good, if she wanted Tom to succeed in killing Harry.

Eventually Lucius returned to the Shrieking Shack with Snape.
Tom then gave Lucius permission to return to the castle to look for Draco. But he only did this so him and Genevieve could be alone with Snape.
"My lord, my lady, why have you summoned me here?" Asked Snape.
"I needed to talk to you" answered Tom.
"But my lord, their resistance is crumbling-"
"And it is doing so without your help. Skilled wizard though you are, Severus, I do not think you will make much difference now. We are almost there" interupted Tom.

"Let me find the boy, for you. Let me bring Potter here. I know I can find him" insisted Snape.
Tom ignored Snape, and stood up out of his chair, twirling his wand around.
"I have a problem, Severus" informed Tom.
"What problem, my lord?" Questioned Snape.
"The Elder Wand. Why doesn't it work for me?" Asked Tom.
"I don't understand. You have performed extraordinary magic with this wand"
"No, I have performed my usual magic. I am extraordinary. This wand has not revealed the wonders it has promised. I feel no difference using this wand, than the one Ollivander gave me all those years ago".

"I did tell you that the wand really isn't any more powerful than any other wand" mumbled Genevieve.
Tom silenced Genevieve with a glare, warning her not to interfere.
"I have fought long and hard about it... Severus, do you know why I summoned you here tonight?" Questioned Tom.
"No, my lord. But I beg you, please let me return to the battle. I can find Potter for you" promised Snape.
"You sound like Lucius. None of you understand Potter like I do. Potter does not need finding. I know his fatal flaw, you see. He will not like watching his friends die around him. He will want to stop their suffering at any cost. So, when the time is right, he will come to me".

"But what if he is accidentally killed by another" warned Snape.
"My instructions to my death eaters have been perfectly clear. Capture Potter, kill his friends the more the better, but do not kill him... It is you that I wished to speak to, not him. You have been very valuable to me over the years, Severus" admitted Tom.
"My lord knows I only seek to serve him. Which is why I beg you to let me return to the battle so I can bring you Potter-"
"I have told you no!" Interupted Tom.
"Forgive me, my lord" mumbled Severus.

"On this long night, when I am on the brink of victory, I have sat here, wondering why the Elder Wand refuses to be what it ought, refuses to be what the legend says it is. And I think I have an answer" announced Tom.
Snape didn't say anything, and Genevieve had a hunch that he knew what Tom was going to say next.
"Perhaps you have already figured it out. You are a clever man afterall, Severus. You have been a good and faithful servant, and I regret what must happen" continued Tom.

"My lord-" started Snape.
"The Elder Wand cannot serve me properly, Severus, because I am not its true master. The wand belongs to the wizard who killed its last master. You killed Albus Dumbledore. So, while you live, the Elder Wand cannot truly be mine" informed Tom.
"My lord" protested Snape, as he raised his wand to defend himself.
"It cannot be any other way. I must master the Elder Wand, Severus. Master the wand, and I master Potter, at last" replied Tom.

Tom flicked the Elder Wand through the air, disarming Snape.
For a moment, Snape thought he had been allowed to live.
But then Tom swished his wand again, removing the protective bubble around Nagini, allowing her to strike Snape.
"Kill him" Tom hissed in Parseltongue.
Nagini continued plunging her venomous fangs into Snape's neck, until Tom called her off, and placed her back inside the enchaned bubble.

"I regret what I had to do" said Tom, without an ounce of regret in his voice.
"I'm sorry Severus. But sometimes sacrifices must be made, for the greater good" whispered Genevieve, quoting her father.
"Come Genevieve, we should go to the Forbidden Forest, so I can act out the rest of my plan" informed Tom.
"Unless, you would rather sit here and watch him die" continued Tom, when Genevieve didn't move.
Genevieve sighed, "No, I don't".
"Then let's get going" encouraged Tom.
"Alright, I'm coming" mumbled Genevieve, before following him out of the Shrieking Shack, towards the forest, so that he could give Hogwarts one more warning speech.

Once inside the forest, Tom placed his wand to his neck, and once again his voice rang out for all to hear.
"You have fought valiantly. Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery. Yet, you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will all die, one by one. I do not wish this to happen. Every drop of magical blood spilled, is a loss and a waste. Lord Voldemort is merciful. Which is why I command my forces to retreat immediately. You have one hour, to treat your injured and dispose of your dead with dignity" announced Tom.

He then took a deep breath, before continuing.
"I speak now, Harry Potter, directly to you. You have permitted your friends to die for you, rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for you, for one hour, in the Forbidden Forest. If, at the end of it, you have not come to me, then the battle recommences. This time, I shall enter the fray myself, with Genevieve Grindelwald beside me. And we will find you. I shall punish every man, woman, and child who has tried to conceal you from me. You have one hour!".

"You're going to let me fight?" Asked Genevieve, who couldn't believe what she had heard.
"We are going to need every fighter we can get our hands on, to win this fight. And if I am going to be in the battle, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving you behind to fend for yourself. I want you fighting beside me, where I can see you" answered Tom.
Genevieve stepped towards him, taking hold of his hands.
"I will be at your side, until the end of time, just as I always promised" replied Genevieve.
Tom leaned forward and kissed her lips softly, "Good".