27. Small Bundle Of Trouble

Genevieve felt like she was living a double life.
Some days she was a doting mother and protector of the innocent. And other days she was the wife of Lord Voldemort, and an accomplice to all of his wrongdoings.
She wasn't sure how much longer she could continue to see Mathilde, and help Ollivander, behind Tom's back.
He was bound to find out eventually, and Genevieve was terrified of the day he realised what she had been up to behind his back.

When Christmas rolled around, Genevieve was still living a double life.
And young Draco Malfoy was no closer to killing Dumbledore, than she was.
But Dumbledore's continued existence didn't make Tom angry, for he was too busy researching about the twin core connection between his and Harry's wand, to make sure that Ollivander hadn't lied to them.
Him and Genevieve spent several hours each day, looking up how to get around the twin core connection, but eventually they had to conclude that the only way to kill the master of your wand's brother, was to use someone elses wand.

To Genevieve's surprise, Tom was willing to put a halt on the wand research, so that the pair of them could celebrate Christmas together.
"I wish I was as good at suprises as you" sighed Genevieve, as Tom led her into the drawing room, on Christmas morning, where the presents were laid out.
"I do have a knack for suprises, I admit, so it would be impossible for you to be as good as me" smiled Tom.
"I feel like I can never get you anything equal in value to what you get me" admitted Genevieve.
"I don't need anything from you. I can buy myself anything I want, at any time. So, I don't need a gift from you. Your presence is enough of a gift".

Genevieve would have replied, but at that very moment, she saw one of the presents addressed to her, move.
"Is one of my presents alive?" Questioned Genevieve suspiciously.
Tom grinned, "Quite possibly".
"It's not another Kneazle is it?" Quizzed Genevieve.
"No. I've got you a different magical creature this time. But I'm not going to tell you what it is, for that would ruin the suprise".
Genevieve approached the box cautiously, and slowly removed the lid of the box, revealing a small platypus like creature inside.
"It's a Niffler!" Gasped Genevieve.
"It certainly is. It was not easy to get a hold of though, and it was even harder to get into the box" admitted Tom.

"You do realise how much trouble these things are, right?" Questioned Genevieve, as she stroked the Niffler's light grey fur.
"Yes, but this little guy is only small. I'm sure you can train him to be obedient" replied Tom.
"Baby Niffler's are just as much trouble as grown up ones. And I'm pretty sure that it is impossible to train a Niffler" admitted Genevieve.
Tom frowned, "Do you not want him? I thought you would like him".
"Oh Vee, of course I love him. He's one of the cutest things I have ever seen. I'm just warning you that this little creature is likely to turn the house upside down in search of shiny things. So, don't expect me to keep the place tidy, without the help of any servants. But I do love him, I promise" reassured Genevieve.

"Good. And it's a good thing all my shiny Horcruxes aren't in this house any more, otherwise this Niffler would find them" said Tom.
"Yes, he would love the diadem and the locket. I will have to make sure that all of my jewellery is secure, before I let this little one loose in my room" admitted Genevieve, as she reached into the box and picked up the Niffler, holding him tight to her chest, so that he couldn't wiggle out of her grasp.
"That would be wise, for you don't want to lose any jewellery. I chose a Niffler, because I thought that looking after him would be more time consuming than a cat or an owl. And I thought that giving you something to do while I'm off on missions, was a good idea" revealed Tom.
"That was thoughtful of you".

"So, what are you going to call him?" Asked Tom.
"Hmm, how about Peter?" Suggested Genevieve.
"You want to name him after Wormtail?" Frowned Tom.
"Without Peter Pettigrew, you never would have been resurrected, and I never would have been freed from Nurmengard. I know you don't like him, but we owe him a lot"
"I suppose you've got a point. The talentless oaf has his uses every now and again"
"Yes, he does... So, I now christen my Niffler, Peter".

Genevieve placed Peter down on the floor, before heading over the rest of the presents on the floor.
Her pile was considerably bigger than Tom's, but this didn't seem to bother him.
After opening numerous boxes of jewellery and clothes, Genevieve found a gift that was not from Tom.
She opened the present and found a green pendant with a snake on it.
"Who's that from?" Questioned Tom.
"Narcissa Malfoy" answered Genevieve, as he looked at the tag on the wrapping paper.
"I didn't know you two were friends" frowned Tom suspiciously.

Genevieve bit her lip awkwardly, and quickly tried to come up with a lie.
Her and Narcissa had been seeing a lot of each other recently, for the two often had a chat after Genevieve had visited Ollivander.
But Genevieve couldn't tell Tom that she had been visiting the Malfoy Manor every week, without making him suspicious.
"I wouldn't exactly say that Narcissa and I, are best friends. But we talk every now and again" said Genevieve.
"She must see you as a friend, even if the feeling isn't mutual, or she wouldn't have sent you such an extravagant gift" replied Tom.

"Well, she probably thinks it is beneficial to be nice to me, for I am married to you. She's secretly hoping that I will be able to use my influence on you, to get you to withdraw Draco's mission, because she will do anything to keep him safe. Anyway, I happen to like Narcissa. It's only her sister and husband whom I dislike" admitted Genevieve, as she watched Peter roll around on top of her new jewellery.
"Have you be spending a lot of time with her?" Questioned Tom.
"I've seen her a few times, but only when Bellatrix isn't there, because I have no intention of bumping into that bitch when I'm there. Narcissa is rather lonely at the moment because Lucius is in Azkaban, and Draco is at Hogwarts. So she is desperate for company"
"I see".

"Why are you so interested in the time I spend with Narcissa? Do you object to me seeing her?" Asked Genevieve.
"No, there's nothing wrong with you visiting her" answered Tom.
"Good. Because sometimes I like to talk to another woman, every now and again, for I spend too much time surrounded by men" admitted Genevieve.
"Then I have no intention of stopping you from seeing her"
"Thank you".