31. Dangerous Wand

When the day to attack Harry Potter finally arrived, Genevieve begged and pleaded with Tom to let her go with him. But he refused.
Tom didn't want Genevieve to be in any danger, so he wouldn't let her accompany him.
So, Genevieve could do nothing but sit and wait for him to get back.
Since she didn't want to wait alone, she decided to hang out at the Malfoy Manor until Tom returned.

Bellatrix was on the mission with Tom and the other death eaters, so Genevieve didn't have to worry about seeing her least favourite person while at the manor.
Instead, her and Narcissa just sat quietly in the study together, as they waited for news.
The pair spent a lot of time together, for Tom believed they were friends, so Genevieve had tried to make that lie true, to stop him from learning that she had been feeding Ollivander behind his back.

Eventually Tom returned to the Malfoy Manor in a rage, which led Genevieve to believe that he had been unable to kill Harry, even with Lucius's wand.
"What happened?" Questioned Genevieve.
Tom said nothing and began to head down to the cellar to confront Ollivander.
With no other choice, Genevieve followed him, so that she could find out exactly what had happened.
They entered the cellar and found Ollivander curled up on the floor.
Despite Genevieve's best efforts to help him, the old man still looked sick and emaciated.

"You lied to me. You told me the problem of the twin cores would be solved, if I used another's wand!" Shouted Tom, before pointing his normal wand at Ollivander.
The wand maker screamed out in pain as Tom tortured him.
"No! No. Please, I beg you" pleaded Ollivander as he writhed around on the floor.
"You lied to Lord Voldemort, Ollivander!" Snapped Tom.
"I did not. I swear I did not"
"You sought to help Potter, to help him escape me"
"I swear I didn't. I honestly believed that a different wand would work".

"Explain then what happened. Potter's wand produced golden sparks of its own accord, and destroyed Lucius's wand. How is that possible?" Demanded Tom, as he stopped torturing Ollivander.
"I don't understand. The connection exists only between your two wands, for your wands share a core. I cannot explain why Lucius Malfoy's wand was destroyed" replied Ollivander, as he knelt at Tom's feet.
"Lies!" Spat Tom.
"No. Please, I beg you"
"Crucio!".
Ollivander writhed in agony again and cried out in pain.
"Enough Vee. You've tortured him enough for one evening. If you want clear answers out of him, you need to stop hurting him, so that he can think straight" interjected Genevieve, as she stepped protectively in front of Ollivander.

"But he lied to me!" Shouted Tom.
"Maybe, maybe not. You and I both researched the twin core connection, and we believed the problem could be fixed if you used someone elses wand. So I expect Ollivander believed the same" admitted Genevieve.
"Then what the hell happened tonight?" Questioned Tom.
"I don't know. Perhaps since you were not the master of Lucius's wand, it wouldn't work properly for you. That's the only explanation I can come up with. Maybe you need to win the wand you use next, through a duel, before you try to kill Harry again".

"There's a chance that you are right. But if I am to defeat Potter, I need to make sure that I am using a more powerful wand than him. Ollivander, are some wands more powerful than others, and don't even think about lying to me?" Asked Tom.
"Every wand is different. Some are better at charm work, while others are better at transfiguration. But I wouldn't say that one is necessarily more powerful than the other" answered Ollivander.
"So, no one has ever created a wand that is more powerful than every other wand in the world? Surely over time someone has used dark magic to create a powerful wand, that would make them invincible?" Questioned Tom.

A strange look crossed Ollivander's face, which he immediately tried to hide.
"What is it? What are you thinking?" Demanded Tom.
"There was one wand said to be the most powerful wand in the world" Ollivander said quietly.
Genevieve's heart skipped a beat, and she knew what Ollivander was going to say before he said it.
"This wand has had many names throughout history. The Deathstick, the Wand of Destiny, and the Elder Wand" continued Ollivander.

Genevieve's stomach dropped at the mention of the Elder Wand.
Despite everything she had done to put the past behind her, it always had a way of catching up with her.
Gellert Grindelwald had been in possession of the Elder Wand when he battled Dumbledore all those years ago.
She was one of the only people alive who knew this. And she had promised Dumbledore that she would never tell anyone that he was in possession of the Elder Wand.
With Dumbledore dead, she suspected that the Elder Wand was now resting in the headmaster's tomb at Hogwarts.

"Tell me more about this powerful wand" encouraged Tom, unable to hide the glimmer of excitement in his eyes.
"The Elder Wand is said to be thousands of years old. It has passed hands so many times, and has a rather bloody past. Some believe it to be nothing more than a myth. But it is possible to track it throughout history, although there are gaps in time where it has disappeared. Those of us who study wand lore, believe it is our mission to find and locate the Elder Wand, so that we can study it" revealed Ollivander.
"Do you know where the wand is now?" Asked Tom.
"No"
"You are lying!"
"I'm not, I swear. I don't know where the Elder Wand is right now".

"You said it is possible to track some of its history. So, do you know who had the wand last?" Quizzed Tom.
"I don't know... Wait, there was a rumour many years ago that Gregorovitch was in possession of the Elder Wand. But I cannot prove that he did have it. It was just a rumour I heard" informed Ollivander.
"Who is this Gregorovitch?" Asked Tom.
"He's a wand maker" Genevieve answered.
Tom frowned and turned to face her, "You know him?".
"Not personally. But he made my wand many years ago, my first wand I mean" answered Genevieve.

"But you didn't get your wand here in England, did you?" Questioned Tom.
Genevieve shook her head, "No, I didn't come to England until I was 11. But my father let me buy a wand when I was about 8, because he wanted me to start practicing magic early, so that I would be powerful one day. And Gregorovitch was the one who sold me the wand".
"Do you know where this Gregorovitch lives now?" Quizzed Tom.
"No, he retired ages ago. I would be surprised if he is still alive"
"Can you narrow his location down for me? Which country does he live in?"
"I don't know where he lives now, for he could have moved. But when I got my wand from him, he was living in Bulgaria".

Tom smiled, "This is wonderful news. With this Elder Wand, I will not only be able to finally kill Potter. But I will truly become invincible. Once we find it, I will be the most powerful sorcerer ever to have existed".
"Finding the Elder Wand won't be easy. Bulgaria is a big country. Besides, there's no saying that Gregorovitch still has the wand, or even had it to begin with. He might have lied. This might be a wild goose chase" replied Genevieve, as her palms began to sweat nervously.
She was scared that Tom would learn that Gellert stole the wand from Gregorovitch many years ago. And then her father would be in danger, for she knew Tom wouldn't let anything stand in the way of him, and ultimate power.
"We will do plently of research before heading off to Bulgaria. But mark my words, together we will find it, and then I will be unbeatable!" Announced Tom.