44. The Truth Hurts

Tom apparated him and Genevieve directly into the cellar of their house.
"Why did you bring us down here?" Questioned Genevieve.
Instead of answering, Tom marched over to a chest that contained some of Gellert's belongings.
He opened the trunk and pulled out a wand box, before spinning around to face Genevieve.
"When you took this from our old house, you said it belonged to your father. And you used it, until I got Ollivander to make you a new wand. You said this was the wand Gellert got when he was 11, but that he discarded it for a more powerful wand. You were talking about the Elder Wand, weren't you?" Demanded Tom.

Genevieve sighed and nodded her head, since she didn't see the point in lying anymore, not now that her father was dead.
"Yes. My father stole the Elder Wand from Gregorovitch. And yes, I knew about it" revealed Genevieve.
"You watched me hunt Gregorovitch down for months, and didn't say anything! You let me go around on a wild goose chase!" Shouted Tom.
"I didn't see the point in hurrying up my father's execution. I knew that you would track down the thief eventually, and when you did, you would kill my father, so that you would become the Master of the Elder Wand. I wanted to postpone my father's death for as long as possible" admitted Genevieve.

"So, you never planned on telling me yourself, that your father was the thief?" Questioned Tom.
"No. Besides, what good would it do? My father didn't have the Elder Wand on him, when he lost that duel with Dumbledore. If he had done, he wouldn't have lost, because the Elder Wand is unbeatable. So, you knowing that my father was the thief, doesn't help you get the Elder Wand" answered Genevieve.
"Earlier, with your father, you were trying to encourage him to tell me where the wand is now, as if you knew yourself"
"I don't. I swear, I don't know where the Elder Wand is"
"You're lying".

Genevieve felt her palms begin to sweat, as Tom stared back at her, trying to force his way inside her head.
"Stay out of my mind" snapped Genevieve defensively.
"Why? Have you got something to hide?" Asked Tom.
"No" trembled Genevieve.
"I think you have. Otherwise you wouldn't have lied to me just now. You are trying to protect the owner of the Elder Wand"
"I'm not, I promise"
"How can I believe anything you say, when I know you've been lying to me for months? You leave me no other choice. Legilimens!".

Tom pointed his wand at Genevieve, and she screamed in pain as she tried to stop him forcing his way inside her head.
The force of his spell, caused her to drop to her knees, as she did everything she could to stop him from finding out all her secrets.
But no matter how much she struggled and screamed, she knew she wouldn't be able to keep Tom out indefinitely, for he was much stronger, and far more powerful than her.

Eventually, Tom breached the wall inside her head, gaining access to her thoughts.
She could do nothing to stop him, as he watched her talk about the Elder Wand with Gellert, when she was a young girl.
"Tell me who has the wand now" demanded Tom.
Genevieve gritted her teeth, refusing to talk. Because she knew that if she started spilling her secrets she wouldn't be able to stop.
"I don't want to hurt you, but you are giving me no choice" continued Tom.
"Please don't do this" begged Genevieve.

"Crucio!" Shouted Tom.
Genevieve began writhing on the floor, in more pain that she had ever been before.
The Cruciatus Curse was even more effective at breaking down the barriers she had put up in her mind.
She had never been tortured by Tom before, and it killed her to know that he would do that to her.
In an attempt to save Mathilde, and ease her pain, she realised she would have to betray her promise to Dumbledore.
"Dumbledore! Albus Dumbledore has the Elder Wand. I lied, Gellert didn't hide the wand before the duel. He used it, but lost the fight anyway, because Dumbledore was a more skilled duelist. The Elder Wand was buried with Dumbledore when he died. It's in his tomb at Hogwarts" revealed Genevieve.

Tom lowered his wand, allowing the pain Genevieve was feeling to fade.
"Albus Dumbledore, my biggest rival has had the Elder Wand all this time. And you never thought to tell me? Do you not love me?" Questioned Tom.
"Of course I do" insisted Genevieve, as she tilted her head to look up at Tom.
"You clearly don't, or you would have told me the truth. You obviously don't want me to succeed, which is why you didn't tell me about the Elder Wand" replied Tom.
"That's not true. I didn't tell you about the Elder Wand, because I didn't want you to get your hopes up. The wand isn't completely unbeatable, for Dumbledore was able to defeat my father, even when Gellert was in possession of the wand. Like I have told you in the past, it doesn't work miracles".

"It is still the most powerful wand in existence. Maybe you didn't tell me about it, because deep down you hoped Dumbledore would defeat me one day" said Tom.
"No! That is not true. I can't live without you" admitted Genevieve.
"Then why didn't you tell me about who had the Elder Wand? And don't even think about lying to me, unless you want me to hurt you again" threatened Tom.
"Because I promised Dumbledore that I wouldn't tell anyone"
"Why would you make a promise like that, to my enemy?"
"I made it while I was still a teenager, before he become your enemy. He promised to keep my true identity a secret, and in return I promised never to tell anyone about his relationship with my father, or that he was in possession of the Elder Wand".

"But everyone knows who you are now, so why protect a dead man?" Quizzed Tom.
"I made a promise not to tell a soul, until I died. Dumbledore being dead, does not mean I'm off the hook. I still have to uphold my end of the bargain, until I die. I, like you, don't like to break my promises" informed Genevieve.
"How do I know you are telling me the truth? You've been lying to me for a very long time, so how can I ever believe a word you say from now on? You were the only person in the world, whom I loved and trusted unconditionally. But you have betrayed me" said Tom coldly.

Genevieve shook her head, "I have not betrayed you. I still love you. I never told Dumbledore where you were, or what you were up to. I've been faithful to you, all our lives. No matter how badly you treated me, I never helped Dumbledore to bring you down. I remained loyal to you, even when you allowed that slut Bellatrix to flirt with you. I didn't tell you about the Elder Wand, I admit it. But not telling you something isn't the same as betraying you".
"How do I know there aren't other things you have kept secret from me?" Questioned Tom.
"There aren't, I swear. I only kept the Elder Wand secret, to keep my father alive. Most people would have done the same in my situation, as most people care about their parents" replied Genevieve.

"I can never trust you again" Tom said sadly.
"You can. You can trust me" insisted Genevieve.
"No, I can't. And I can tell that right now, you are lying to me, again. There is more that you are keeping from me. I am the most skilled Legilimens in the whole world. You cannot lie to me" admitted Tom.
"I'm not lying"
"Yes you are. And soon I will find out exactly what you are hiding from me... Legilimens!"
"No!".