18. Accusations

After Tom had scolded Bellatrix for her performance at the Ministry, he dropped her off at the Malfoy Manor, before returning home with Genevieve.
Once they were alone, Genevieve could finally discuss the events that had just occured. For she had been holding in her emotions until they had gotten rid of Bellatrix.
"Don't you ever do that to me again" said Genevieve.
Tom frowned, "Do what to you again?".
"Make me think that you are dead" answered Genevieve.
"I did no such thing".

"You disappeared after losing that fight with Dumbledore. I know now that you were attempting to possess Harry. But I didn't know that at the time. I thought you had been killed again. The last time your body was destroyed, you left me alone for 14 years and I ended up in Nurmengard prison. I was terrified to think that history was going to repeat itself" admitted Genevieve.
"You had no reason to worry, I was in no real danger, for Dumbledore couldn't really have beaten me" reassured Tom.

"You don't need to lie to me Vee, for there is no one else here. You could have died, and you know it. You were losing the fight against Dumbledore, and then you vanished, which is exactly what happened last time, for there was no body left at Godric's Hollow either. You can't just disappear on me without warning" replied Genevieve.
"I didn't plan on possessing Potter. It was a spur of the moment decision, so I couldn't exactly warn you before hand. Besides, I won't be doing that again, for my corrupted soul cannot stand being so close to Potter's pure one. So, I won't be doing that ever again" revealed Tom.

"That's good to know. But if you ever lose a fight like that, in the future, and plan on doing a dissappearing act again, please let me know first, so that I don't have to think you've died" pleaded Genevieve.
"Stop saying that I was losing the fight, for I was not" snapped Tom.
"Well, it looked to me like Dumbledore was getting the better of you" replied Genevieve.

"The old man was stronger than I thought he was going to be, so I wasn't trying very hard. But I could have beaten him easily if I put more effort into it" insisted Tom.
"I'm sure you could have done. But back in the Ministry, you were losing that fight, so there is no point in denying it. Dumbledore is an insanely powerful wizard, and it's good to be reminded of that every now and again. But next time you get into a fight and plan on disappearing like that, just give me the heads up first" replied Genevieve.
"You are overacting. I was only gone for a matter of minutes"
"It was enough time for me to think that you were dead".

"Look, I let Dumbledore get the better of me. He did not win that fight! And while we are talking about what did and didn't happen back there, let's talk about your involvement in the fight. Or should I say, lack of involvement" spat Tom.
"It was not my fight, so I knew better than to get involved" admitted Genevieve.
"You just stood there uselessly. It's almost as if you wanted Dumbledore to win" replied Tom.
"Don't be stupid. Why on earth would I want him to win? When his success would result in my recapture. Besides, I did try and fight back, but Dumbledore blocked my spell easily, and warned me not to get involved, or he would kill me".

"Dumbledore is against killing, you heard him say so himself" reminded Tom.
"But he also said that he is not above destroying a person. And I knew that he would have beaten me easily, if I caused too much commotion" replied Genevieve.
"Bellatrix would have leapt to my aid if she had been able to, even if it had of resulted in her death. And Dumbledore knew this, which is why he had to magically restrain her, to stop her from defending me"
"Well, I am not Bellatrix"
"No, you're not"
"Don't you dare say that like it's a bad thing!".

"Bella would defend me until her last breath. But would you?" Questioned Tom.
"Of course I would. You are my husband, and I would do anything to protect you" answered Genevieve.
"Anything? Even kill someone?" Asked Tom.
"I don't enjoy hurting people, or committing murder, like you do. But if it came down to it, of course I would kill someone to save you. You're my soul mate and the love of my life. Without you, I have nothing. I will always put you first"
"I'm glad to hear it. But Dumbledore seems to think that your loyalty to me is not absolute, for he did not immobilise, or even disarm you. Which means that he knew you would not attack him".

Genevieve's palms began to sweat nervously, as she was scared that Tom had worked out that she had been meeting with Dumbledore behind his back. Which is why Dumbledore hadn't attacked her.
"Dumbledore always believes in second chances. And he always thinks that he knows someone better than they know themselves. Which is why he didn't disarm me. For he thought I would never stand up to him, to save you. But he was wrong about me, for I did step up when I saw that you were in real danger. I tried to protect you" insisted Genevieve.

"It's a shame that you didn't step in until the last minute. If you had helped earlier, then the mission would have ended in Dumbledore and Potter's deaths. And the whole Ministry wouldn't have seen me" snapped Tom.
"Do not try and pin everything that went wrong on me... Look, I know you. And I know that your image matters more to you than anything. You wouldn't have wanted me to step in, and I knew it. You wouldn't want me to save you in front of witnesses. You couldn't bare it if your followers found out that you had to be protected by your wife. Which is why I didn't step in earlier. Because I knew that deep down, you didn't want me to" admitted Genevieve.

Tom sighed and ran his hand over his bald head, "You're right".
"I usually am" reminded Genevieve.
Tom walked over to Genevieve and took hold of her hands.
"I'm sorry for doubting you and raising my voice" he apologised.
"It's alright. After everything that happened today, it's only right that you would be suspicious of everyone" replied Genevieve.
"It's not you I am angry at though, and I shouldn't have taken my frustration out on you. I know that you would never betray me. You are the one person on this earth who I can always rely on. You're my wife, and I'm sorry for forgetting that. I promise I will not lose my temper or doubt you, ever again".