6. Gift Giving

Time in Nurmengard had dragged by, but now that Genevieve was out of prison, time flew by, and in no time at all, it was Christmas.
Usually Genevieve would be the only one excited for Christmas, as Tom didn't really do holidays.
But this year Tom was determined to make Christmas special, as it was the first one they were celebrating together in so long. He even helped her put up the decorations, which really suprised her.
Everything they did, they did together, and Genevieve loved it.

Despite her happiness, Genevieve still couldn't forget about her children, and not a day passed when she didn't think about them. And on Christmas Eve, she decided that she wanted to lay wreaths on her sons graves.
Since Tom didn't want her going alone, he went with her, to make sure that she stayed safe.
"We can't stay long, in case any Ministry officials turn up" reminded Tom, after the pair had apparated to their old garden.
"Don't worry, this will only take a few minutes" reassured Genevieve.

She headed down to the bottom of the garden, while Tom hung back.
He claimed to be scouting for danger, but Genevieve knew that he just didn't want to get too close to their sons graves, for he didn't do grieving.
This made things easier for her, as she didn't have to try and explain to Tom, why she had named their stillborn child, Albus, after his enemy.
When she reached the graves, she knelt to the floor, and removed the wreaths from her bag.
She then placed one against each of the headstones. And she watched as small flakes of snow began to rest on top of the wreaths.
"Merry Christmas boys" she whispered, as silent tears ran down her face.

Suddenly there was a rustling of leaves, from the trees in front of them, putting both Tom and Genevieve on high alert.
They removed their wands, and prepared to fight whoever came their way.
She had known it was dangerous to return to her old home, and now she was worried that her sentimentality would get her sent back to jail.
Genevieve gasped loudly when she saw what had scared them, and was now coming their way.
"Hope!" Exclaimed Genevieve.
The Kneazle meowed and continued walking towards Genevieve, not stopping until she was in her owners arms.

"How on earth is that cat still alive?" Questioned Tom.
"She's a Kneazle, not a cat. And Kneazle's can live longer than normal cats" answered Genevieve.
"Yes, but how is she here? Our house has been empty for years, so who has been looking after her?" Asked Tom.
"Judging by her matted coat and thin frame, I would say that no one has been looking after her. I expect she has been surviving of animals that live on our grounds. They are excellent hunters afterall"
"And you think she came running when she heard you?"
"Kneazle's are incredibly loyal pets. And they can always find their way back home"
"I've never been so suprised by an animal before. That creature must have insane survival instincts".

"I still remember when you gave her to me all those years ago, on my birthday" admitted Genevieve, as she began to softly stroke Hope's fur, which made her pur.
"I bought her for you, because I wanted you to always have someone to talk to. I knew I couldn't be there for you all the time, which is why I bought you a pet to keep you company" replied Tom.
"It was a very thoughtful gift. Hope was the best present you ever got me. And now she has returned home to me. It really is a Christmas miracle"
"It is... But the animal is old. She can't have long left to live"
"I know. And I will make sure that the end of her life is full of happiness. She will not suffer under my care... Besides, I do not need to confide in her anymore, for you are never going to exclude me, or leave me out of anything, ever again".

"No, I want you at my side, at all times, so that I can make sure that you are safe" said Tom.
"I do need some privacy from time to time. And there may be days when I want to leave the house, without you following me. But I do not want you disappearing for days on end, like you did before" informed Genevieve.
"Don't worry. I will make sure that you will see me every single day" promised Tom.
"Good. I know it's a lot to ask, but I just can't bare to lose you ever again"
"You won't, I swear... Come on, it's time for us to return home"
"O.K. Let's go".
Genevieve placed her hands against the stones guarding her sons bodies, before standing up and joining Tom.
She made sure to have Hope securely in her arms, before her and Tom disapparated back home.

When they arrived at their new house, they found Lucius Malfoy and Walden Macnair waiting for them.
Genevieve placed Hope onto the ground, for she didn't want to look weak by holding a fluffy cat close to her chest.
"What do you two want?" Questioned Tom, as the death eaters bowed their heads.
"We are sorry for disturbing you both, especially at Christmas, but it is important" replied Lucius.
"Go on then" encouraged Tom.
"It's about Boderick Bode" informed Macnair.
"Yes. Our spy inside St Mungo's says that Bode is starting to recover. Which means that any day now, he could reveal what I did to him" added Lucius.

Tom sighed, "This is unfortunate. I was hoping we could leave him in St Mungo's permanently. But we can't have him talking to the Ministry or anyone in the Order. So he will have to be dealt with".
"How do you suggest we kill a patient under the watchfull eye of so many healers?" Questioned Lucius.
"You have done enough, Malfoy. This is your mess that I'm having to clean up, and I will not have you make things any worse" spat Tom.
"I am sorry, my Lord"
"I will have Macnair finish Bode off. But Macnair, you won't be able to kill him with a spell. It must look like an accident".

"Why don't you send him a dangerous present. It is Christmas afterall, so the Healers will be busy, and won't have time to inspect every gift sent in" suggested Genevieve.
"That's a brilliant idea. It certainly keeps our hands clean" praised Tom.
"What kind of gift should I send him?" Asked Macnair.
"How about a plant? They are often given to sick people in hospital. And there are plenty of dangerous plants out there" admitted Genevieve.
"There are... How about Devil's Snare? If you could get a cutting of one, and stick it in a pot, it would look like any other pot plant, right until it strangles Bode to death" smiled Tom.
"I will get right on it, my Lord" replied Macnair.

The death eaters then left the house, leaving Tom and Genevieve alone once more.
"I'm terribly sorry about all that" apologised Tom.
"It's alright. You have an army to command, and I know I can't have you to myself all the time" replied Genevieve.
"In the old days I would have left the room to discuss business. But things are different now"
"They are. And you never would have gotten your good idea just now, without my input"
"No, I wouldn't have. You always inspire me, and give me such good ideas"
"It's true"
"Yes... Now come on, it's time to go to bed. The sooner you're asleep, the sooner you can open all the gifts I have got you for Christmas"
"I can't wait".