28. A Great Man

With no other choice, Genevieve continued living a double life, for many months. And Tom remained oblivious to everything she did behind his back.
Genevieve felt sure that Draco Malfoy was going to fail his mission, as the end of the school year was fast approaching.
But on the 30th of June, Tom revealed that Draco had successfully fixed the Vanishing Cabinet in the Room of Requirement, which had a twin in Borgin and Burkes. So, a handful of death eaters would be able to sneak into Hogwarts, undetected.
Genevieve hadn't been picked for this mission, so she had to stay behind with Tom.
And since he never left her side, she didn't have an opportunity to run off to Hogsmeade to warn Dumbledore.

After what felt like many long and painful hours, the death eaters returned, along with Draco and Severus Snape.
"Well?" Questioned Tom, as the death eaters stepped into the drawing room.
"Albus Dumbledore is dead" revealed Snape.
"You're sure?" Quizzed Genevieve, hoping that there had been some kind of mistake, for Dumbledore couldn't really be dead.
"Positive. I killed him myself. I used the Killing Curse on him, and watched him fall off the Astronomy Tower" answered Snape.

Tom frowned and looked over at Draco, who was stood in the corner of the room, looking rather shell shocked at what he had just been a part of.
"So, the boy failed me?" Tom asked Draco.
"When I arrived, Dumbledore was unarmed, and young Mr Malfoy had him cornered. So, he hadn't completely failed. However, I thought it would be quicker and easier if I killed Dumbledore, for the Order of the Phoenix were beginning to close in on us. They had already killed Gibbon, and I didn't want us to lose anymore people" admitted Snape.
"You did the right thing, Severus. Gibbon was only a minor death eater, so his loss is not a big deal. It could have been a lot worse" replied Tom.

Tom stepped closer to Draco, and the boy was too scared to lift his head to face him.
"You did well. You successfully snuck my death eaters into the castle, under Albus Dumbledore's nose. Something no one else has manged to do, so I congratulate you" praised Tom.
"Thank you, my lord" mumbled Draco.
"To reward you, I will free your father from Azkaban, along with the others who are also trapped there" replied Tom.
"Thanks".

Tom then turned back to face the others.
"Today is a glorious day. Our biggest adversary; Albus Dumbledore, is dead!" Announced Tom.
The death eaters all began to cheer loudly, Bellatrix even started jumping up and down excitedly.
Genevieve was the only one who didn't feel like celebrating.
Although her and Dumbledore had never seen eye to eye, she had never wanted him dead.
He had always been there for her, and helped her, even though they were on different sides. And with him dead, she worried about Mathilde's safety.
With no one to oppose Tom, Genevieve knew he was going to accelerate his plans to take over the world. And this scared her.

****
On the 3rd of July, Dumbledore's funeral was being held, and Genevieve was desperate to attend, to pay her respects.
She transfigured herself, and snuck in with Mathilde and Hannah.
Genevieve knew what she was doing was risky, as she was surrounded by dozens of Ministry officials and members of the Order.
But she felt that she needed to ease her conscience, by attending the ceremony, and saying goodbye to her old headmaster.

Genevieve hung at the back of the event, so that she didn't draw any attention to herself.
During the service, she couldn't help but look over at Harry Potter.
With Dumbledore gone, everyone's hopes rested on that young boy. And Genevieve just couldn't see Harry ever defeating Tom.
The great Lord Voldemort was far too strong to be killed by a 16 year old.
Tom had half a dozen Horcruxes keeping him alive, and he knew so much magic, compared to young Harry.

Some people didn't believe too much in prophecies, which is why Tom wasn't that worried that he hadn't been able to hear the rest of the prophecy about him and Harry.
But Genevieve was a seer.
Before making a Horcrux, she had been able to see the future.
Every one of her visions had come true eventually, even though some of them had taken years to fulfil.
So, she fully believed in prophecies.
Which meant that no matter how unlikely it seemed, Harry Potter really could destroy Tom one day.

"You shouldn't be here, Genevieve".
Genevieve spun around and looked at the person who had interupted her thoughts.
Aberforth Dumbledore stood before her, and somehow he had seen through her disguise.
"How did you know it was me?" Questioned Genevieve.
"I saw you arrive with your daughter and her friend, so I guessed it was you. And as I looked closer, I realised that I've seen you use that disguise before" revealed Aberforth.
"This is my go-to look, when transfiguring my face, so maybe I need to come up with some knew ideas, to stop myself from getting recognised" sighed Genevieve.

"Maybe you should, once you've left my brother's funeral" said Aberforth coldly.
"Look, I came here today to pay my respects, just like everyone else. I don't mean anybody any harm" insisted Genevieve.
"Ha, that's rich coming from someone like you" spat Aberforth.
"I'm sorry about your brother. But I was not the one who killed him"
"You knew about it though"
"I didn't learn what was happening, until it was too late to warn your brother. I never wanted him to die. He's been a big part of my life, first as my fathers enemy, and then my husband's enemy. But despite the darkness inside my loved ones, Albus Dumbledore never treated me badly. He was a good man".

"You shouldn't be here. You're insulting his memory by turning up at his funeral, while being married to the man who had him killed" said Aberforth angrily.
"I'm insulting his memory? Look, I risked everything to be here today, doesn't that tell you how much he meant to me? I actually liked Albus, unlike Cornelius Fudge and Dolores Umbridge, who are only here, to keep up appearances. Albus Dumbledore was like a father figure to me, and I never wanted any harm to come to him. But he was old, and I don't think he had any fight left in him. He wouldn't have been strong enough to fight my husband again. And instead of it being dragged out, his death was quick and painless. Not everyone gets such a peaceful death" admitted Genevieve.

"How do you know all this? Were you there when he died?" Demanded Aberforth.
"Of course I wasn't, my husband would never let me go somewhere that could be dangerous. But Severus told us exactly what happened that night, which is how I know what happened" explained Genevieve.
"I still can't believe Snape betrayed us all" sighed Aberforth.

"Your brother put so much trust in Severus, which is why I was surprised that he was actually able to kill his mentor. But I'm glad Severus did it. Bellatrix would have tortured Albus first. And Greyback would have ripped him to pieces. Severus did the kindest thing he could in that situation. For the Killing Curse acts so quickly, that you don't have time to feel any pain" said Genevieve.
"Your father used the Cruciatus Curse on me, and that was the worst pain I have ever endured" revealed Aberforth.
"I know, and I'm sorry about the things my father did in the past. But I am not responsible for his, or my husbands actions" replied Genevieve.
"You can't have it both ways much longer. You can't see me and your daughter, and be married to that awful man. Sooner or later, you are going to have to fully commit to one side".