37. Breakout

After telling Dolores Umbridge to leave her office, Genevieve began speed walking towards the Atrium.
She didn't want to panic anyone by running, so she moved as quickly as she could without causing alarm.
Since it was impossible to apparate inside the Ministry of Magic, Genevieve had to get to a fireplace, in order to get out.
Several people she passed gave her strange looks, which made sense, as she had only just started work, so it was unusual to see her leaving so soon in the day.
But Genevieve didn't have time to stop and come up with an excuse to explain her absence, for she had to get to Mathilde and Hannah, before the Ministry did.
If Hannah was put on trial, and placed in Azkaban, then it wouldn't be long before someone looked at Mathilde's family tree, and realised that it was fake.

Genevieve stepped inside the nearest fireplace, and allowed it to take her up to the public Ministry entrance, which was how most people got to work.
Once out on the streets, she found a dark alley, which she used to disapparate in.
After arriving at her new location, she then pointed her wand at Mathilde's door, praying that her daughter hadn't gone to work yet, as it was still rather early.
"Alohomora!" Commanded Genevieve, as she opened the door, and stepped inside the house.
She quickly closed the door behind her, and locked it, to stop anyone else from getting in.

"Mathilde! Hannah!" Genevieve called out, as she began making her way through the building.
The two girls stepped out of the kitchen with their arms folded.
"This is breaking and entering. We could have you arrested" said Hannah coldly.
"She's got a point. You did promise to stay away from us" reminded Mathilde.
"And with everything you are doing to my people, we don't want to have anything to do with you" added Hannah.
"We haven't got time for you to be angry with me. We have to get out of here as soon as possible" informed Genevieve.
"Why? What's happened? Has my father found out about me?" Questioned Mathilde.

Genevieve shook her head, and looked from Mathilde to Hannah.
"It's not you the Ministry are after" revealed Genevieve.
"They want me, because I'm a Muggle-born" Hannah said quietly.
"Yes" replied Genevieve.
"I refused to sign up to their stupid Muggle-born register. So, now they want to arrest me, just for being a Muggle-born"
"Officially, no one is being arrested for being a Muggle-born. People are only being brought in for questioning"
"Yes, but those they question never come out again"
"That's true. Dolores Umbridge has a habit of throwing every Muggle-born she comes across, into Azkaban".

"Why have you come here today?" Questioned Mathilde.
"Dolores showed me a list of the Muggle-borns she plans to bring in for questioning, and I saw Hannah's name on the list" answered Genevieve.
"Well, can't you just take her name off it?" Asked Mathilde.
"I was only given a copy of the list. There are numerous copies throughout the Ministry. Besides, if they know she is a Muggle-born, then erasing her name wouldn't help, it would only buy her time. They will still come for her eventually".

Hannah began to hyperventilate, and Mathilde placed her arms around her to calm her down.
"Don't worry, I won't let them touch you" reassured Mathilde.
"Even you can't fight off the whole Ministry at once" Genevieve said gently.
"But you could. Aren't you basically running that place now? So can't you just give Hannah a pardon?" Quizzed Mathilde.
"No Muggle-born can be pardoned. It is impossible for them to escape Azkaban, unless they can prove they are related to a witch or wizard. Unfortunately, there is no one alive in my family, who Hannah could pretend to be related to. I don't have cousins or anything like that. And your family tree is a lie, for your name isn't really Jennifer Figg. So, we can't hide her in the Figg family, as it would make it obvious that you were both lying about your identities. And if the Ministry figure out who you really are, that would put us all in danger. Which means that we can't lie about Hannah's heritage".

"If you aren't here to help, then why did you come? And why are you still wearing that ring? Aren't you supposed to take that off, before you come here?" Snapped Mathilde.
"Normally I would. But right now, your father isn't the biggest threat to you. He's not even in the country at the moment. Besides, this ring protects me and allows me to say whatever I want. You may not be aware of this, but your father's name has been Tabooed. Anyone who says it out loud, gives up their location to the death eaters. But, if I'm wearing this ring, I am protected from such magic" answered Genevieve.

"You didn't answer my first question. What are you doing here?" Demanded Mathilde.
"I am here to save you both" informed Genevieve.
"How? How can you help Hannah, if you can't pardon her?" Asked Mathilde.
"I'm going to get you both out of the country. My father has safe houses all around Europe. You can hide in one of them, and start a new life. I am in charge of international travel, so I can stretch a couple of rules to get you out of here".

"How long do we have before they come for me?" Questioned Hannah, as she extracted herself from Mathilde's arms.
"I don't know. It could be hours or days. But for all I know, they are on their way right now. Which is why we have to leave immediately..." Genevieve faltered when a knock sounded on the front door.
She placed her finger on her lips, and raised her wand to defend them.
"Open up. It's the Ministry of Magic!" ordered a voice from outside.
"Why didn't they just apparate straight into the house?" Whispered Mathilde.
"Because I placed a few charms around the building when I arrived, to hold them off. But the enchantments won't hold for long. We have to leave now" hissed Genevieve.

"But what about all of our things?" Questioned Mathilde.
"I will return here to get them later, once you are safe" answered Genevieve.
Another knock sounded at the door, and Genevieve began to sweat nervously. She knew things would end badly for them all, if someone saw her there.
"Is this really the only choice we have?" Asked Mathilde.
"Yes, coming with me is the only option you have left. You can't rely on the Ministry of Magic anymore, for it's corrupt. And if Hannah gets put on trial, she will not only lose her wand, but her freedom" replied Genevieve.

"But how do I know that I can really trust you? You are working for the enemy afterall" reminded Mathilde.
"Because I am your mother, and you know that deep down all I want is your happiness. Protecting you, has always been my number one goal. And I will not see you get hurt... So, are you coming?" Asked Genevieve.
Mathilde and Hannah grabbed hold of Genevieve's arm, and the three of them disapparated to safety, just as the front door exploded, and the Ministry officials stepped inside.